chapter one: prologue

Hey! I'm MJ. Thanks for choosing to read this book. Now I know that it might not be for everyone, but I would really love it if you read it all the way through and gave me some feedback. This is my first Wattpad book, so it might not be the best, but it tried!

Warning: contains loss of family; if you are sensitive with this topic, I suggest you stop reading now

(Y\N) = Your name
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

It's been nearly eight years since the fire that killed over half of your family. Ever since then, Peeta has come in the dead of night with a fresh load of bread for you and your mother. It began without explanation, but as time passed on, it became a regular thing that you were overall just grateful for.

You and Peeta have come to be close friends; talking at school and sitting together at lunch. He seemed to have a way with words that made it so that even when it was raining outside, you'd be reminded of the first dandelion of spring.

You two would come home together nearly everyday, his hand clasped in yours. And everyday, your mom would give you the look that said, "I know you love him, not even the darkest shadow could hide the light that I see in your eyes when he walks into the room". You deny her every time she confronts you about it, saying "we're just friends mom. Nothing more" as you roll your eyes.

The more times she asks, you start to consider the fact that maybe you do have a slight crush. You brush off the feeling and run off to find the boy with the bread.

Upon confronting him, you get a slight feeling in the pit of your stomach. It's almost like a tickling sensation, that starts at the lower back and slowly creeps up your spine as you are forced to hunch over. What was this feeling? How on earth was it caused?

"Hey Peeta!" You shout, jumping right behind him, causing him to jump and nearly throwing his book bag in the air.

" (Y\N)! Why do you keep doing that?! You know it practically scares the living daylight out of me! " he laughs and extends his hand.

You grab it anxiously and tease him, "Is there any better reason to keep going".

You stick your tongue out and release your grip on his hand, running the rest of the way to school only stopping to make sure Peeta was still following you. Sure enough, he was.

Reaching school, your breathing deepens and your lungs burn, leaving your face bright red. Allergies certainly did not help when it came to breathing. So consumed in thought, you don't notice that Peeta has snuck up behind you and is about to scream in your ear when Katniss walks in. That girl could shut any boy up.

Peetas face turns bright red as she walks past, and you can't help but feeling jealous. You're the one he decided to save, you deserve his love, not the girl who hunts illegally. Gasping out loud, you realize something. Were you jealous of Katniss because of Peeta's crush?

No. It couldn't be. Why on earth would you be jealous of her? Sure she was practically the only girl that every boy can say he has had a crush on at least once, but that didn't matter. But what did was that Peeta loved her, that was enough to break your heart in two.

You run out of the class the you and Peeta share, going straight to the bathroom where you cry your heart out until you hear someone knocking on the door.

" (Y\N)? Are you okay? When you rushed out so fast, I knew something was wrong. I'm pretty sure I even saw tears. You've never let me see you cry... Please come out and talk to me... "

Without thinking twice, you fling the door open and jump into his arms forever safe in his embrace. In that moment, you know for sure that you truly do love the boy with the bread.

My first chapter! I'm excited and nervous.... If you have any ideas about what could come next, comment and I'll take them into consideration!