Chapter 1

16 years later

In books long since written and forgotten they mention that you can tell a lot about a person by looking at their shoes, or their faces, clothes, hair, basically their appearance in general. I never followed that rule. I looked into the soul, or at least the windows into the soul. The eyes. Currently, the eyes of my 5th-period history teacher said she would rather be anywhere but here.

Mrs Bore, true to her namesake was a bore. The greyed-haired ancient woman claimed she got her hair such a colour from the stress 'we children' gave her. But most people believe she has lived since WWIII and from the way she talked about life in the past, it wasn't an insane theory.

I was sitting in the lecture classroom and Mrs Bore was supposed to be giving a presentation on life in the 2050s to the turn of the century. But due to the behaviour of the class, she had barely made it past the introduction. Class ended in 5 minutes.

"In the year 2067, the HeloDisc was created by Dr Lucas Prime and Dr David Briyce. The device has later been used to power all electrical systems in the world. Now if you would all turn to page 394 of your DigitTexts. Mr Briyce would you please stop throwing spitballs at Miss Herlee"

There he is. Kane Briyce the biggest idiot at Apoloexridge Academy. He's that kid who sits at the back of the classroom and spends his time wasting others time because he thinks he has his life planned out for him. Go to school. Muck around in school. Get bad grades. Have Mummy and Daddy pay for those grades to be changed. Inherit the family company. You can say that I have had more than a few run-ins with him.

"You got it Mrs B" he called out, leaning back onto his chair. Just a centimetre more and he would tumble right off that thing. Idiot, I thought.

Just before I could start listing reasons why I wish Kane would walk off a cliff, the bell rang.

"Homework tonight is reading pages 394 and 395 and writing a paragraph on why HeloDisks saved the human race" Mrs Bore called but most of us were out the door.

I quickly stopped by my locker to drop my things off before heading down to my favourite place in the world; The library. I walk in and see my sister packing up her things in front of a HeloScreen. I left her to do her thing and went to A.S.H, the school's Artifical Intelligence.

"Welcome," said the automated voice, "please state your name and intention,"

"Kendria Prime, the Library interface please."

"Showing Library interface to Kendria Prime. Would you like to Continue Reading, Borrow a Book or Browse by Title, Author or Genre? "

"Continue reading," I said as a HeloScreen appeared with all the books I had been reading the past couple of days. After swiping through a few books that hadn't taken much of my interest I found a new one that I had only just started. Reaching forward I wrapped my hand around the book on the screen and pulled it out. A copy of the book then appeared in my personal HeloGlass. Glasses that can act as portable HeloScreens.

Turning around I found the most comfortable chair I could and sat down. Libraries in the old days had shelving to the roof with old books made out of paper. some special ones with a hardcover. And the smell of a new book when opening the pages. These days things are a little different. The shelves are A.I in the corner of the room. Making space for couches, chairs and desks of different styles and comfort.

"Hey Kendria, what are you reading?" said a voice interrupting me from my thoughts.

"A book about a sister who wouldn't leave her twin alone and got killed"

"Ohh," Her sister Cahira said, faking intrigue "Sounds interesting does the sister really die or is it all faked because she is awesome."

I ignored my sister and went back to reading the HeloBook. The designers of the HeloBook and the DigitTexts wanted it to feel as old-fashioned as possible. Make them both hologram screens that have pages that you can feel, flip and tear. Hence the spitballs Kyle was spiting at Lucy in History class.

"Anyway," Her sister was saying as she sat down with a HeloBook of her own. "Mother and Father want us to come to the office after school."

"You say that with such low importance as if it isn't the first time since the accident that we are going back there," I tell her.

"And you say that with such importance but it still doesn't make me want to listen to you."

Cahira was the more outspoken one. Their parents always used to say that she was the warrior and I was the protector. That we were the two sides of the moon, one light, the other dark. I was still trying to figure out who was who.