THE PAST

VOICES MUTTERED, chattered and screamed violently over each other in Ruby's mind, her breath quickening as Sapphire stood in the snow that slowly faded away. "What?"

"What're you talking about here? You better be joking or hit your head or something." Amethyst said.

"No, it's true, I'm a Diamond." Sapphire's gaze lowered.

"But, how?" Pearl said in shock.

"She's Blue Diamond's daughter." Lapis explained. "She hid her away for a very long time and I was one of the very few in Home World that knew this."

"No, it's not true." Ruby said, her head slowly shaking. "It's not true."

"It is, Ruby, I'm sorry." Sapphire said.

"You're lying!" Ruby screamed.

"Ruby." Pearl turned to her.

"It can't –," Ruby cut herself off, breathing heavily. "You're one of us, y-you're not them."

"Blue Diamond is my mother ... I should have told you sooner."

"You see, you're nothing! Not even to her!" The voices yelled in Ruby's head.

"How could you do this to us!?" Ruby growled.

"Ruby, I think you need to calm down." Pearl moved up to her.

"How could you lie to all of us!? We spent centuries fighting those pieces of shit and here you've being one of them this whole time!"

"Ruby, try and hear her out first." Amethyst said.

"You had the power to save so many of our friends during the war, but you held back and for what? Just to keep up a façade!" Ruby took it all in. "No, no, tell me this's some kind of sick joke, you have to be lying."

Sapphire looked to the red woman and to the other gems, seeing the confusion in their expressions. "When I was born, I was deformed; one eye and less than half of the power of any of the other Diamonds. Because of this, Blue Diamond kept me away so the others wouldn't kill me to uphold the prestige of their godhood." She explained. "I didn't have many friends and barely got outside and it was many years until I saw the outside world and discovered what the Diamonds were doing to the gems of Home World. When I discovered this, I rebelled and took up the identity of Sapphire so that I wouldn't draw too much attention and sealed away my power so Blue Diamond wouldn't find us and wipe us all out."

"But why lie to us? We never kept secrets and we did everything to protect our friends!" Ruby yelled. "Your lies cost them their lives!"

"I tried to tell you, but I –,"

"Why did you lie to me?" Ruby said finally, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Ruby ..."

Ruby frowned and walked off, heading into the forest and leaving the others behind.

JASPER LOOKED at her fists that were splattered with Steven's blood, releasing steam from them that cleared them away instantly. She tried to shift her focus as she walked through the forest alongside Helio to the location of their ship, failing to keep the thoughts from resurfacing in her mind.

"We should be a few paces from where we cloaked the ship." Helio looked at a holographic map projected from his gauntlet. "If my scans of this area are correct, we should be able to find another of your sister's temples."

"I can't believe I almost killed him." Jasper stopped in her tracks. "I almost killed my own nephew."

"Well, he got in your way; we must eliminate all obstacles." Helio dismissed the map and turned to her. "He got what was coming to him."