Prologue

Alexa's P.O.V.

The day when my life changed forever was a bitter, cold December afternoon. My father and I wanted to have a 'Father-Daughter Day' together since I don't see him often. He was always busy with work and never had time for me. That was the first day in 2 months that we have actually had time to spend together. We decided that we wanted to go ice skating at Summet Lake since that was my favorite thing to do during the winter.

"Are you ready to leave?" my father asked.

"Ready, Daddy!" I replied as I put on my scarf and gloves.

I ran into the car and put on my seat belt, waiting for my father to get in the car. After a while, he came back with our skates and sat in the driver's seat to start the car. It was so cold that I can't even describe it. I remembered when Father and I were making fun of how we were going to freeze while skating at the lake.

"Are you excited about skating?" my father asked.

"Of course I am, Daddy," I stated. "This is my first time skating outside of classes this winter."

"How are your skating classes going?"

"Great, but I am nervous about them though."

"Why are you nervous?"

I continued to tell him that my skating class was going to put on a performance soon, and they wanted me to audition for a solo. I also told him that I didn't think I was good enough to have a solo because I was still rusty on my moves and they weren't perfect.

"OK, while we are skating, I'll show you a couple of moves you can use during your audition." he suggested.

"Do you really think I'm good enough?" I asked him.

"Of course you are!" my Father exclaimed. "You can do anything if you just believe in yourself. That's how life in general works, too. If you believe in yourself and..."

That's all I remember about that day. In the middle of his sentence, everything became dark. I couldn't hear or see anything. I couldn't even think.

To continue that day, I remember waking up in the hospital. There was a doctor stroking my hair telling me that everything was alright.

"Why am I here?" I asked, trying to sit up.

"Lay back down." the doctor ordered. "You need rest after that horrible accident."

He continued to tell me that I was in a terrible car accident; the other car hit ours with a head-on collision. Since I was in the backseat, I hit the back of the front seat with my face and banged my head on the side of the window, which knocked me out cold.

"Where is my daddy?" I asked, still confused about what was going on.

"Alexa..." the doctor said hesitantly. "This is not easy for me to tell you, but your father—"

"What happened to him?" I interrupted.

"He... crashed through the front windshield and landed face-first in the snow, which caused horrible brain damage. Alexa, I'm sorry to say this, but your father has passed away."

That incident became the worst day of my life; I can't think of anything worse than that day.