Chapter 25, Part B: Within These Walls (cont.)

Start from the beginning

Edmund squeezed Elanore’s fingers.  It was his job to defend the guildmaster, not Elanore’s.   “Whatever Elanore showed him convinced him to do more.  I believe he is preparing the guild to shelter those who wish it. There may be some who won’t relish the idea of living in bunkhouses and the spare homes we have set up for guild men.  But I think those who believe in the old stories will come to the compound for there is safety in numbers.  As for the rest who will not, the guild will do what they can to advise on how to protect their homes.”

Miss Redley’s expression softened for a moment as she thought through what he said. She tried hard to smooth out the disagreement between the two people she loved dearly.   “A whole guild of people helping others like Edmund does would be a blessing.  The guildmaster must not be a bad man.”

Edmund’s contribution to Mrs. Winchester’s welfare all these years was indubitable.  Mrs. Winchester sighed at Elanore’s wistful declaration and rephrased her concerns.  “It is an odd arrangement. I do not know how that will fare.”  

“It’s a start,” Elanore quietly pleaded with her grandmother.  “The guild is strong and resilient.  Their collective knowledge has kept them alive for many years in a place that people said couldn’t be settled.  Grandfather even said they were a well-run group under the current and previous guildmaster. What they do is better than we could have hoped for. Shouldn’t we support them as they try everything they can?”

“But not everything is being done, is it?” Mrs. WInchester shook her head. “I don’t mean to sound as if I am casting doubt on the townspeople and the guild.  But consider this --these Wolframs have gathered in similar fashion within this compound.  And they have you here, rounding up strange creatures for their own use. They are days ahead, maybe even years ahead in preparations.”

The contrast the Mayor drew was an astute one. Both Edmund and Elanore fell silent as they realized their short-sightedness.  They had not seen the similarities in how the two groups were going about preparing for the worst of the winter in similar ways. And worse - they had not realized the vast differences that existed between these two camps -- differences that might be critical to survival.  

Edmund turned to look at the woman at the window, whose attention had conveniently wandered off to watch the lions outside.   She pretended not to hear them, but it was evident that she and the gathered Wolframs knew much more than all of the townspeople combined.

Mrs. Winchester sighed. “I can only hope that by coming here, I will learn something useful to help the townspeople. But-” she addressed Edmund. ”--Perhaps Gregory has some news.  I presume you have seen him?”

Gregory himself had not said anything meaningful, for he did not have the information that Ilva had provided. Edmund considered for a moment what to say.  With his eye at the lady at the window, he spoke.  “In fact, I have seen him today. He spoke of the possible return of bears and wolves during the eclipse.”

“But that’s no surprise is it?” Elanore frowned at the weight of importance Edmund had attached to the words.  “Even Grandfather said that they had once been quite a few of them here.”

Suddenly, the lady at the window stood and stretched.  Edmund did not wish her to suspect how much he really knew.  “Gregory thinks the beasts will migrate here for the winter or should. Animals often return to their ancestral spawning grounds. It would not be unreasonable to think this is part of their behavior. But there may be other things that follow them.”

“The Unthings?” Elanore wondered aloud.  

“Yes,” Edmund answered slowly, noting that the woman had turned her head slightly.  “I suppose that is one, but there may be other things.”   He paused before continuing his thoughts aloud.  “The natural order of things must play out.  The hunters also can become the hunted. This goes beyond what the guild can find out,”  he reluctantly admitted. “Only those who have known this land might guess.  At best we have folklore to guide us.  My friend is quite good at tales. I shall ask.”