Chapter 31, Part B: Of Wolves, Lions, and Men (Cont.)

The mood in the room shifted slightly as the gathered were forced to acknowledge the presence of the estate’s lord.

Maximilian Wolfram had slipped in some time ago. Exactly at what point in the conversation he had done so, they did not know; none had seen him until he had spoken.   Those who knew him well were not surprised by his appearance. And those who did not, took care to study him.

What they all saw was a man who was different.   

A man of confidence.

As he placed a map in front of the guildmaster, he made it evident that he had heard quite a bit. “Your map is adequate, but this one is done by those who knew that area well.  By the elves.”

That piece of information sent a restless wave through the men who had accompanied Wilhelm.  To those who did not believe in elves it was a challenge to their entire way of life, where man was the center of the world. And yet, as the map was unrolled it was undeniably detailed and beautiful. It was nothing that could have been fashioned by any human hand.

As the lord took a seat vacated by one of the other Wolframs,  the guild leader began to inspect the map.  “The work is very good,” the red-haired man had to admit.  “It seems every rock and grove of trees are accounted for.”

“That is the way they were,” Maximilian Wolfram said.  “They knew the value and name of the rocks, the valleys, and things most pay no attention to.  The lions are like them.  They know much about the land up to a point. However, your huts were built recently and so it is not something they would know. It won’t be Miss Redley who will instruct the lions, but you.”

A muscle in the guildmaster’s jaw worked itself over and over as he tried to tune out the whispering of his men.   “Do you mean I should ride one?”

The Count seemed amused by the man’s suggestion. “Would you if it was necessary? I can see from your expression that you would prefer not. What I meant was for you to provide instruction as to where the huts are in relation to the elven map, not yours. After that, the lions can proceed on their own. They are quite capable of executing searches by themselves.”

A few of the men tittered at such a compliment.

But the young woman in the room frowned at them. She knew they had no faith in the creatures, for what little they had seen had not helped them believe they were nothing more than dumb beasts .  But she loved them and treated them as friends -- not pets or novelties.  

She took a great big breath as if to argue on their behalf, but the Count raised his hand and silenced the room. “Your men doubt what I say, Guildmaster.  But if you laugh now, what will you do when the same lions help us defend this place later?”

Wilhelm sensed the other man’s displeasure.  He carefully mulled how to proceed and deflected the question with another of his own. “Can they follow complicated directions?”

“Their childish playfulness should not be mistaken for unreliability or the inability to comprehend what we say.  They are far older than you or I.  They can outrun us and outfight us.  I’d argue that they are your best hope in a search for your men.”

That bold statement seemed to offend a few of the gathered. Wilhelm knew his men thought the comparison ridiculous, but his host clearly thought otherwise.  “I would need to show them maps and charts.  Can they read such things?’

“The map is for you,”  the Count pointed at what he had dropped on the table.  “They won’t read those. You simply need to tell them what major landmarks to follow. They will read the rest of it from your thoughts by using their gifts.”