"Don't You Know That You're Toxic"

Start from the beginning

"Why did he cry?" Albus' face turned grim.

"That's a conversation for another time. That reminds me, Perseus, there's somewhere I need to take you after the meeting with Cornelius."

"Are you ready?" I nodded, grabbing hold of Albus' offered arm as the dim interior of the Leaky Cauldron disappeared. We appeared in a bustling white marble building. Wizards and witches carrying briefcases and weird devices and contraptions surrounded us by the plenty. Tugging my arm, Albus led me to an elevator rapidly filling with people and we swooped in just with enough room. The doors shut with a ding and I tried to keep my thoughts cleared in this crowded, confined elevator with barely enough room to breath. I bunched my hands into fists by my side, exhaling harshly through my nostrils. This is nothing. Albus glances at me inquisitively and I sent him a tight smile. When we finally cleared out, I unclenched my fingers to reveal red, indented crescent moons in the palms of my hands.

"Perseus—"

"I'm fine. Let's go to the meeting." Albus stared at me for a few seconds longer but eventually nodded and swiftly strode to a golden door to the left of us. Knocking twice, he entered before a response was heard and I was met with the sight of a skinny, mustached man and two dark-robed wizards that looked like guards. The mustached man rose and smiled in a poorly disguised forced way.

"Ah, Albus, you came. And this young gentleman is Perseus, I presume?" I extended my hand politely.

"You would be correct, Minister Fudge." He shook my hand hurriedly.

"Please, just Minister. Why don't you too sit down." He gestured at the two awaiting seats. Sitting down smoothly, we settled into our seats. "Now, down to business. I'd like to discuss the circumstances that led to Perseus' admission to the Hogwarts student body."

"Ah yes, Perseus here is from America, more specifically the United States. Earlier, I had received word that a boy with no prior knowledge of the world of Witchcraft and Wizardry would be attending Hogwarts. I didn't know his attending meant crashing through the ceiling of the Great Hall." Cornelius seemed to wait for something and was strangely pleased by Albus' answer. The Minister turned to me.

"Perseus, how are you enjoying the fine world of Wizardry?" I shrugged.

"I would give you a very elaborate answer, but, I think a lot of things are just going over my head." Which was true. Though I played Quidditch myself, I still wonder who's idea it was to fly around on brooms. Cornelius laughed and his mustached bobbed and jerked and I tried not to laugh. Yet, I noticed, that though he was laughing, his fingers twiddled nervously and his eyes bounced from me to Albus, and back again. Constantly. He was nervous, skittish... apprehensive.

"Ah, well, you'll get used to it." I already had. From then on, he asked Albus and I a series of questions to which the answers seemed to always please him. He laughed some more, almost choked on his tea, and that mustache of his kept bobbing and jerking. "Well, that's all. Thank you for joining me." Cornelius stood and walked us to the door.

"Ah, if you don't mind, Minister, I'd like to show Perseus around the Ministry. Maybe one day he should seek a career here." Cornelius paused and his finger twiddling resumed before he gave a hesitant smile.

"Why, yes of course! Just, don't be too long, I'm sure he has some very important studies he is missing currently." They exchanged brief pleasantries before Albus was guiding me by the elbow to an unknown location.

"Where are we going?"

"The Department of Mysteries, there is something very important I need to show you."