"Don't You Know That You're Toxic"

Percy PoV

"Perseus, may I speak to you privately?" I turned and saw Albus' grave expression and I nodded to his words before I even registered the action. Turning back to Ron and Draco, I stood up and shot Draco a look. 'Play nice,' it said. He rolled his eyes and I smiled at Ron, shooting him the same look. They didn't fight like they use to, but when I wasn't around, things had the tendency to get a little heated. Pushing my chair in, I turned to Albus and walked with him out of the library, bringing my books and bag along with me. No matter how much I trusted Ron and Draco, I wouldn't just leave the books Hecate gave me lying around.

"Has something happened? Is it Harry?" Albus shook his head, his wispy, long beard swaying with the motion.

"No, though afterwards I would like you to update me on our Mr. Potter. We'll discuss the matter as soon as we reach my office chamber." I nodded and walked beside him in silence, wondering what he would need to discuss if it wasn't Harry. Soon, we stopped in front of a familiar stone gargoyle to which Albus spoke, 'Forbidden Centaurs.' Rolling away to reveal a stone, spiral staircase, we climbed up the passageway to Albus' office, the door shutting behind us. Gesturing to the cloth chair in front of his desk, Albus sat in his own chair and folded his hands on top of his desk.

"Now, this matter is rather fickle, but could prove to be worrisome if the outcome should not favor us. The Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, would like to have a interrogation of sorts— of which we would be the ones interrogated, though mostly you— and has scheduled a meeting for the Wednesday next. Cornelius has found your... introduction to Hogwarts and your induction to the Hogwarts student body rather suspicious and would like to further look into the situation. This is nothing, but Cornelius has a ridiculous notion in his head that I am trying to overthrow him as Minister. Undoubtedly and obviously there is a connection between us— not the one he is looking for, but he is not above finding things that do not exist. As you know, your presence here is crucial, so it is imperative that he should find nothing—neither what is there nor what isn't. Anyways, I thought it necessary to warn you, and I know you understand the severity of this situation so I need not stress it. Any questions, Perseus?" I blew out air through my mouth, bringing up a hand to drag it through my hair.

"Yeah, well, why now? Why not when I first got here or a few months after? The school year is ending in less than two weeks, isn't it kinda late to be doing something like this?" Albus shrugged.

"Who knows what goes on in Cornelius' head? Perhaps he wanted to see how you would fare, how powerful you are. Though, any measure of power he could have taken is nowhere near what you are really capable of." He smiled knowingly and his eyes seemed to twinkle behind his half-moon spectacles.

"Yeah..." My eyes cast about the room, landing on the Phoenix that had been nearly impossible to ignore while I was listening to Albus speak. The bird hadn't been there all of the previous times I had been in Albus' office and I wondered it he had just gotten the bird.

"Ah, Fawkes. Very majestic and beautiful, isn't he?" I nodded, eyes transfixed on the bird.

"Can I?" Albus smiled and nodded,

"If he lets you." I reached out slowly and the bird blinked at me, leaning it's neck forwards—no his neck forward. My fingers softly caressed Fawkes' feathers and he made this odd sound, cocking his head. Then, slow tears started to fall from his eyes and for a few seconds, the bird cried. Suddenly, the Phoenix burst into flames and I jerked backwards, watching as the beautiful bird turned into a pile of ashes. From those ashes poked a tiny, bald head.

"Isn't it something. The first time Harry met Fawkes was on his dying day and the same thing has happened for you." Albus' voice startled me and my eyes shot to him, my hand jerking to my pocket.