Hanna (And Her Chat with Rose)

The basketball team won both of their games tonight by a landslide. Hunter played almost all of varsity, he's really good. After the game was over, he glanced over to the cheerleaders. We both caught each other's eyes and he smiled at me. After everyone left, we headed back home. Dad was home by the time we got to the house. He was in the kitchen eating dinner. We all headed into the dining room to eat together.

Dad spoke up, "How was school today?"

Victoria spoke up, "It was a drag, until mom's class. Then it was awesome!"

"What happened in your mom's class today?"

"Well, it was normal and she was telling us about our next big assignment. All of a sudden, this kid named Hunter Robinson blew up on mom. He was swearing up a storm refusing to do anything, so mom made him walk outside to the hallway. After that, all I know is what I heard."

Rose spoke up, "There wasn't much after that, except I did drag him by the ear down to the principal's office."

I spoke up, "May I be excused to go up to my room?"

"Hanna, you've hardly eaten anything, are you okay?"

"Yes, can I please just be excused?"

"Yes, I'm going to come check up on you in a few minutes."

I hurried up the stairs to my room. After I shut my door, I plopped onto my bed. I'm just so frustrated with mom still. Tears are starting to stream from my eyes. I can't hold it in anymore, I'm tired of keeping everything in.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. It was Rose.
"Hanna, is it okay if I come in?"

"Yeah."

Rose walked into the room and came and sat down on the bed right next to me.

"I'm not going to force you to talk, but I can tell that something is wrong. Do you want to talk about it with me?"

I sat up and looked at Rose's face, and nodded. She looks concerned about me.

"I'm just really frustrated and confused."

"What are you frustrated and confused about?"

"Why didn't my mom tell me that she was going to be gone? Why is it always you and dad that have to let me down with bad news?"

"Honey, I don't know why things are happening the way they are. I wish that I could be in control of it, but the fact is that no one can. There are going to be lots of times that life gets really rough, and we just need to stick with it. I would rather be able to give you bad news instead of your mom because at least I am here to comfort you right now."

Rose put her arm around me bringing me closer to her. She gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"I love you mom."

"I love you too Hanna. You mean the world to me. I'm so glad that you get to be in my life every day. Just remember, if you ever need to talk about something, I will always listen to you."

"Thank you."

Rose pulled me in and gave me another kiss on the forehead then left. She knows exactly what to say to make me feel better. A few minutes after she had left, I got a text from Hunter.

"It was great seeing you at the game tonight."

I responded back, "It was even better getting to watch you play."

"I guess you'll have to watch me more often then."

"So, what happened today at the school then?"

"Well, the principal was going to suspend me, but your mom said that it would be better if I got detention instead of suspension. The principal agreed to that only because your mom reassured the principal that I was going to be receiving a pretty good punishment when I got home tonight."

"Wow. So, have you been punished yet?"

"No, my mom is still trying to process everything that happened today. I just wish that I could get it over with though."

"So, I thought it was pretty cool how you stood up to my mom today."

"I think it was actually pretty dumb, because now my butt is going to be suffering the consequences."

"I was wondering if maybe you want to eat lunch together tomorrow."

"Yeah, that sounds great. It's on me. I'll see you tomorrow then if my mom doesn't literally kill me tonight with my punishment. Have a good night Hanna."

"You too, and good luck. Hope it isn't too bad."

I have butterflies in my stomach just from texting him. He can't be that bad of a boy. I just don't think that Rose's friends would tolerate having kids that are rebels. Then again, I have seen my fair share of rebelling in Victoria. After I went and brushed my teeth in the bathroom, I got into bed and fell asleep.