Part 33 - Manager

I stood in front of the grand office doors, staring down the gold plated principle sign that was embedded in the wood. My breath was shaky as I pinched the soft skin of my hands to calm my nerves before entering. I had been stood here for around 10 minutes, and still hadn't built up the courage to knock on the door. Would he still be mad? Did he know about the person following me? Who was it? And how do I bring it up? I sighed for what seemed like the thousandth time before deciding to wing it and rapped my knuckles on the oak wood more times than necessary.

"Come in."

I swallowed a gulp of air before pushing open the door and making my way into the ever messy office of Mephisto. I watched the male scribble away at some paperwork, not glancing up to greet me as his hand continued its fluid motions.

"What brings you here?"

I fell back lightly at his tone, yeah; he was still mad. I fiddled with the hem of my shirt, turning my eyes away from the demon to stare at the elaborate carpet instead.

"Well, I thought about yesterday and decided I don't want to leave."

"Why?"

I blinked back up to look at him, I thought he would be happy to hear that.

"Uhm, well..."

"Is it because of the incident you had yesterday? I already know about it. Is that what you came to speak with me about?"

I bit my lip lightly, I should have guessed he already knew... nothing seemed to get past him, ever. I walked father into the office to stand before his desk and stare down at the violet haired male. He remained impassive to my approach as he continued his work.

"Who was she?"

"You don't know?"

"Of course not."

Mephisto stopped his movements to glance up at me over his glasses, a soft smirk etched onto his features. I gulped down the lump that was in my throat at the stare he was giving me; was it good that I didn't know?

"You honestly don't do you belle?~ And here I thought that was the reason you decided to stay in our little family."

"What do you mean?"

Mephisto lent back in his chair, folding gloved hands together as he rested his chin atop them. Forest eyes stared me down with a smirk etched onto his features.

"Mrs. Takanaka."

Takanaka... I blinked heterochromia eyes at the male with a tilted head. That was my old manager at Happy Bakery.

"I don't understand."

"We have part time staff at the Vatican as well you know. Mrs. Takanaka is one of them. It appears that not only your best friend, but your old manager has been keeping tabs on you all this time."

My arms fell limp at my sides, so all this time... my path had been planned out for me? When I believed I was making my own choices I was really being pulled along like a dog on a lead by the Vatican? I blinked back tears, a new lump forming in my throat as I chocked it back.

"I understand it must be upsetting Belle, but rest assured I will get to the bottom of this, you are in my care after all.~"

"So what? They don't seem to care."

The male tilted his head at me, eyes darkening as he shifted one gloved hand to remove the glasses from his face.

"So what is that the Vatican failed where I will succeed. And I will not allow them to interfere with you any more. You are mine and it is simply that my Belle."

I scowled down at the demon, folding my arms over my chest in annoyance at his use in terminology.

"I am not yours Mephisto, but thank you."

I turned around to leave the office, hearing his soft chuckle behind me as I did so.

"Not yet Belle.~"