"What's this?"

     "Not perfume."

     This time it was my turn to not reply as I rolled my eyes at my brother.

     "It's what Cedar used on me during our fight. You saw what it did to me. He just had a few drops rubbed into his nails before the fight and it was enough just to make me weaker. The vile itself is enough to take away his powers for at least a day. Long enough for you to take him out of summer and into winter, or my island if he needs a few years to himself. Whatever you use it for, just make sure you use it."

     My first instinct was to shout about how I knew Cedar cheated during the fight, that sneaky bastard. Yet what I actually should have been thinking about, was what making my father take this vile would mean. If I had to use it, then he would never forgive me, or trust me. If I lock him in a winter cell and get him out of Summer, then the duties of the land would fall to me. It would just make him feel like I was taking the summer land away from him out of greed. And if I did that, then would my own people of summer hate me for it?

     "Don't over think yourself out of using it. You asked me what I would do in your position, and I'm telling you it is the best outcome. This way you two never have to physically fight, and no one gets hurt."

     His eyes motioned to my belly when he said no one, and when I said nothing in return, he simply placed the vile in my left palm. It felt warm from his touch, and as light as air itself, yet this vile and seeing my father were pressing a weight into my chest that was heavier than a boulder.

***

     "I know we, um," Clovis struggled to say.

     Clovis and tulip were the only spring royals, aside from my brother, who were outside with Aunt Palma, Nazim and I to see us off on our trip back to summer. The others were watching us from the windows, as if I couldn't see them.

     "Spit it out mud prince."

     Clovis chucked a bit to reveal just a hint of his white teeth. "Fine Ice Queen. I'm just trying to say that even though the road to here was tough, and that it shouldn't have taken this long to get here, I'm happy that we finally did." He extended his hand out to me. "To our truce."

     I gladly took his hand and shook it. "To our peace."

     The morning glow made spring look that much more beautiful, the flowers were saturated with the strong lights of the sun. It was definitely a sight I would enjoy seeing from time to time, now that I was invited into spring. I knew why my brother preferred it over winter.

     "So, not that I don't enjoy your presence Ice Queen, but next time bring your husband."

     I arched my brow. "Why? So you can take him to just about every bar in spring and drink him under a table?"

     Clovis laughed and placed his hand to his chest. "I'll help build his tolerance level."

     I really couldn't help but roll my eyes. Lands, what an unusual friendship that grew out of them two.

     Tulip came from talking to Aunt Palma and Nazim, to me. Unlike her brother who was dressed casual enough to almost pass as a commoner, she was in a sage green dress with the fronds of a palm tree designed all along her shoulders and chest as if it was wrapping her.

     "Your majesty," she said. "I hope your journey to summer is filled with the peace you are in search of."

     "Thank you Princess."

     She took another step closer, her brother was still by my side but her step was closer to me than to him. "And I wanted to give you something." Before I could ask, she pulled out a handful of letters from the pocket of her dress. They were tied together by a string, but the stamped sigil was noticeable. "These are from your father, and from your uncle. We got them after our failed attack to winter." She didn't look ashamed about the attack, but more so from what she was about to say next. "I have already read them with my father. And the Summer King and him spoke... openly."

     "Just what any daughter wants, to read all the horrible things her own father says about her," I took the letters from her gentle hands, "thank you, again, Tulip. You didn't need to."

     She nodded her head. Her hair swayed more with the morning breeze. "I just want you to know what you're going into, now that we are allies after all."

     The last goodbye I had, was my brother. The vile he had given me was safely in the front pocket of my riding pants. There was no elegant dress for me, not even one for when I was at my summer castle. No, I wasn't planning on throwing on a beautiful dress, with my long hair nicely done, and jewels along my throat and fingers to pretend as if everything was fine. The time to pretend was over.

     Alagan was looking at me as if he was just waiting to ask me if I was sure I didn't need his help in summer.

     "I'll be fine."

     "I know," he said instead with his arms cross against his chest. Now that he was in spring, his clothing colors changed into greens and florals.

     "And having you there would just threaten him more."

     "I know.

     "Plus, I don't need my big brother to come and baby sit me every time I have an issue. I've been doing quiet well for myself even before I found you."

     "I know."

     "And-" Before I could keep rambling on, my brother uncrossed his hands and crushed me in an embrace. There were no more words for us to exchange about this. I wrapped mine around him as well. And together we just stood there, holding one another. His warmth was comforting, his smell was now of the grass and flowers here in spring instead of the onions and beets from the winter kitchen.

     In this hold I was telling him that I was going to miss him, because how could I not. I had been with him every day since he essentially saved mine and Nazim's lives in the ocean. We had fought, we had argued, we had been strangers, we had been friends, we are now siblings. A sibling I never thought I would get, would never thought I would need. But here we were. 

     From behind me I heard Tulip gasp, and Clovis mutter, "You'll get used to it." I already knew it was Alagan forming the ice horses for us summers to head home.

     "Take care of yourself King."

     Alagan's thumb lightly caressed the top of my spine. "You too sister. Don't worry, I'll see you again before your family of four turns into five."

     I smiled as I got onto my horse. And I tried to hold that smile as we rode off to the summer border.