Chapter 23

"Have you decided what you want to do now that you're back on the main land, back in winter?" I asked him.

     We walked until we reached the library. For now it was small but every day I had something to add to it. And after coming back from the journey I just did, I had a lot to write.

     Alagan touched one of the new books on the shelve, but didn't open it.

     "Technically, Winter belongs to me. I'm the first born, the oldest, and the strongest." My heart picked up with worry as he paused to grab the book from the shelve. It was a book about winters mountains, and what laid hidden in them. "But I don't want winter. It wasn't my home. From what you could tell about my island the animals that lived there and the plants, they would never survive long in the cold."

     "So what is it that you want Alagan?"

     The book shut, the sound of the papers slapping each other filled the room as I waited for his response. Finally, once the room quieted again, his colored eyes looked deep in mine and with determination in his voice he said, "I want spring."

     There was a relief in my chest as I knew he was telling the truth. Winter would be all mine. He would never want it for himself, but spring - spring he could take with his lava and crumble it to the ground for all I cared.

     "Spring does need a new king," I replied my agreement.

     "It does doesn't it? How the people will hate me, a peasant bastard boy, born from the Glacia, the women they feared, and still remember."

     "Having Glacia's daughter in one season and her son in the next. They will despise us - well, not winter."

     "No, not winter. They love you."

     I couldn't help the smile that slipped across my lips. They did love me. And I loved them, they are my people and I will protect them no matter what. The room once again in that silence, but it wasn't empty. It was comfortable in fact, how far we've come.

     "Alagan. Why did you help me, back in summer."

     He moved effortlessly to my side so he can lean his shoulder on the all white shelves. "He's a horrible liar."

     Alagan said nothing else after than. I raised my brow, "And? What? You just wanted to see what he was lying about?"

     His nostrils twitched just a tiny bit in.... anger? "Because I wanted to see what kind of man this king was. And he isn't much of one. It was disappointing to see this king that everyone loves, that you risked your life for, treat you as if none of what you did happened. No wonder he fell for mothers tricks, he's nothing but a coward underneath his power."

     My mouth opened to defend him, my father. Because he still was my father. But no words came out. I couldn't say that he was brave, kind, and loving. Because he wasn't, at least not towards me. And rarely towards the kids.

     Alagan saw the struggle in my face and saw it as a challenge. "Tell me I'm wrong then Evie. Tell me you can just patch things up with Summer as if nothing happened. That it was all Spring's fault."

     There was movement outside the door, undetected by the mortal hearing. But it wasn't a threat. If Alagan noticed it or not he didn't flinch until he heard the low growl of Nuri outside, and his light clawing on the door.

     "I think it's time you properly met my other, other half," I said with a smile, forgetting the conversation for now. I swung the ice door open. Nuri's gentle face came rushing to me. There was a slight limp in his leg, but I knew he would be just fine within a day or two. My little Nuri fought bravely by Ray's side.