Chapter 12

The lava started to boil through the wall of ice that I had created. It sizzled until it was close to being nothing, in a matter of seconds. I didn't bother trying to keep the wall of ice up - I had a plan.

"Evie do something!"

I looked past where the grass use to be and noticed that the sandy beaches were still safe, he was only keeping the lava here. And anyone else would have given up - I would have given up if I was powerless to be honest, but I wasn't. What we needed was a bridge.

We watched the wall I created become shorter and shorter, I grabbed Nazim's hand and started walking backwards to give us more room. "When the wall comes down in the next few seconds, we're sprinting to the shore."

"Please tell me you're not cocky enough to believe that you can walk on lava Evie."

I physically rolled my eyes at him, "I'm going to build a bridge and we're going to cross it, get to shore and float away on an ice ship until it melts."

The thought of going back into that ocean bothered me. A sense of anxiety creeped into my chest at knowing I'll be powerless again. But then again, it was the lesser of two evils at the moment. I know I could survive being lost at sea one more time. Lava... I didn't want to find out. Whoever this man was, if I had to admit only to myself, he was someone who'd give me a fight for my life. And at this moment I could't tell who would win.

So with the last inches of the wall melting into the lava I readied myself, ice chilled on my finger tips - a sensation that I always welcomed. My heart beat and time seemed to slow for me, the only thing between the lava and us anymore was open space. It made its move towards us but before it could even make a few centimeters I created my bridge. White ice and snow formed around us, and I made it shoot high above the lava so no unexpected splashes could burn us. The bottom was thick and secure with railings on the sides to help keep us balanced. The last thing any of us want is to slip and fall to our melting death.

We didn't say anything as we sprinted, our feet slamming onto the ice with our force. I could feel the intense heat of the lava right from under me, making me constantly have to keep producing ice so the bridge wouldn't melt. And just as we were close to the sand, I heard the lava rising up from behind me, completely melting the beginning part of the bridge. Neither one of us dared to look back or even stop, we just felt and heard the bridge of ice slowly collapse down.

The untouched sand was already under us, but we kept running until the bridge of ice was finished. And even as our feet touched the ground we kept on running, pumping our arms through the tropical winds and headed towards the ocean.

Who would have known that I would have been so happy jumping back into the empty ocean with no food or water. On the plus side, at least we'd have a ship - well, until it melted. Speaking of our ride, I started making it from the bottom up. Off in the ocean there it was being created, a ship made out of ice. Where there was wood on a regular ship, there was white solid ice that floated gently on the surface. It wasn't vastly large, nearly a small one that a traveler of two would usually own. I started to create the sails, thin sheets of ice that were easy to manipulate against the wind - when someone made the sand harden around my left ankle, bringing my face slamming onto the sand.

The fire that was still hidden from me started to burn hotter than my surroundings. That good old fashion summer temper was burning that piece of cloth away until there was nothing left but ashes. It was the fire being brought back into me that made me grunt in pain, not the fall.

"Evie!" Nazim yelled as he stopped in his tracks and headed right back to me.

But before he could come and help me up I cracked the hardened sand with a blade of ice that was sharp like a diamond.