chapter 11

''Can you put this one on that pile, please?'' My father asked as he pointed to a spot where a big pile of logs was. I nodded without really answering him with words. One of the things I loved from my father was that we didn't need to talk much. We could work, eat or even just lay on the couch in silence. Words weren't necessary when we were together. Plus, it wasn't awkward or anything but just... cool. Sure, we talked sometimes and have good times too.

As I put the log on the pile, I heard the voice of Niall Horan.

'Please help me! I'm stuck inside...' I started panicking thinking he would be stuck in the logs. I didn't listened to the rest of his sentence when I grabbed all the logs and pushed them away until I realised he wasn't there or even here. I felt extremely dumb when I realised it was my new ringing tone. I froze and looked around to stop my gaze on my father's questioning glare. I smiled awkwardly when my phone started ringing over again. I got it out from my pocket and without looking at the caller, I answered it.

''Hello?'' I said through the phone.

''Hey Katy bear. How you doing?'' I heard Alexander's voice through my ear and a shiver went down my spine.

''Not that bad, thanks. Why you call me?'' I said curiously. I had been 2 days without news of him since my first date with Brandon. Brandon and I were getting along pretty well. The next day after our first date we've seen each other for a second date that looked such as the first one, but still, he was cute. Sure, we watched another romantic movie and got bored after 10 minutes. But it finished a little more enthusiastically. To say the least, kissing someone at the cinema can be pretty difficult.

''It's been a while since I didn't got news about you and I was starting to miss you.'' His words had made me shiver. He missed me? It was difficult to admit, but I just couldn't stop from thinking about him and waiting for him to call.

''Maybe if you called me before, you could have news.'' I said my tone a little more harsh than I wanted it to be.

''Yeah, I'm sorry for that... I just didn't know what to say and since you and Brandon...'' I cut him off before he could continue.

''What? What do you mean?'' I said confused.

''I mean, you and Brandon are getting closer and you had been busy and I didn't want to bother you.'' He said and I could feel he was uncomfortable. But why?

''You wouldn't have bothered me. And plus, I missed you too. It's hard without my best friend.'' I said chuckling. He chuckled a little too but wasn't really sincere. I just shrugged it off as he continued the conversation.

''So, what were you doing?'' He asked. I smiled as I recalled the scene of me, the logs and Niall Horan.

''I was helping my dad with the wood outside, you?'' I said as I tried to replace the logs into an almost-perfect pile.

''I was on my way to your house.'' He said and I could tell he was smirking.

''Okay- Wait. What!?'' I said chocking. I was wearing old clothes and had my hair in a messy bun. I didn't have either make up even if it didn't matter since he already saw me without.

''I'm here now. You're outside, right? I'll come see you in two seconds.'' He said as he hung up. I hung up too froze in my spot. I finally realised what was going on and searched my dad. My eyes land on him as I heard my name been called. My father's gaze went on Alex as I tried to hide behind a tree. I looked at them greeting each other. They started to talk for a little while until I heard my name been called a second time, but I stayed hidden. I tried to go further in the tree as they started to search me. The branches of stir were now covering my body so no one could see me. I turned to see how far I was hiding when a spider came in front of my face. I screamed and ran out of the grip of the branches. Then, without warning, I ran into a wall. I looked up to see Alexander smiling but still with raised eyebrows.