chapter 24

Alex' POV

The darkness had disappeared and my room was lightly illuminated by some rays slipping through my curtains. A new day. New torture. I hadn't sleep at all last night, just struggled under my sheets. I was so tired of all the events in my life, of all the drama but still I couldn't find the wonderful world of dreams.

After staring at my ceiling a little more, I got up. Another big day was about to begin and I needed to be ready. I hopped in the shower to wake up and try to wash away my worries which didn't really worked. I dressed up and didn't wait a second before walking down stairs. No one was in the kitchen so I ate alone with my thoughts haunting me. Will this ever go away? The thoughts of her had disappeared when I had met Kate, but now, they're back with one more. Kate's dad.

I finished my bowl of cereal and poured other cereals in another bowl before bringing it upstairs. I felt as if I was keeping a prisoner and needed to feed them once in a while. Maybe she was. Maybe she was a prisoner.

I knocked twice before entering the room. She was in the same position than last night though te bowl beside her was empty. At least she ate.

''You awake?'' I asked but had no reply. I came to the other side of her bed to see her staring at the wall. ''I brought you something to eat.'' I stated simply, kneeling infront of her. She kept her gaze on the wall behind me and didn't answer. I looked down feeling desperate. Why wouldn't she talk to me? I'm her friend, right?

''I'm supposed to meet your mother today...'' I told her but she didn't say anything. I looked up to see that she hadn't change position or move. The only thing different was that now she had clenched her teeth together. ''I just wanted you to know, and if you wanna go well you're welcomed.'' I finished and got up. She wasn't going anywhere today, I could sense it. I walked out the door feeling devastated. What was I supposed to do?

***

I was waiting at the table beside the window in Starbucks. Kate's mother, who I think her name is Melissa, was still not here. It has been 15 minutes and I was beginning to think she wouldn't show up. And why am I even doing that!?

Because she needs you, bro.

But she won't even talk to me.

Give her sometime, she just lost her only family.

I shook my head realising I was talking to myself. Damn it, I'm losing my mind. I looked up to see Minnie give me a small smile as if to say 'sorry if she doesn't show up'. A part of me was frustrated that she took pity of me but the other part was telling me to calm down, she's trying to help me through this.

I gave her smile back and looked away but something - or should I say someone - caught my eyes. Laura was there, standing at the door way and and staring back at me. Her friend I had meet when I met Kate a second time. I stood up and she ran up to me and hugged me. We weren't really friends since we had talked to each others one or two times, but it just felt right at the moment. I let go of her after a few seconds and showed her the vacant seat in front of me so she could sit down. She wiped away tears from her red cheeks and looked at me.

''Is it true?'' She asked. I looked at her, not sure even though a part of me had guess.

''How did you-?'' She cut me off before I could continue.

''I tried to call her two days long before going to the hospital. I asked for her father's room but they told he hadn't make it this time...'' Her voice broke and I took hold of her hand to make her know I was there. A few tears flowed down her cheeks and she wiped them away before taking a deep breath.