"Are you planning on going back to the meeting?" I asked curiously, whilst casually drawing random shapes on his chest.

One of his arms lazily slipped around my slim waist,"No," he began, briefly staring down at me, "I refuse to let you out of my sight again."

I silently groaned, rolling my eyes before going back to enjoying having him so close.

It was strange for me. Allowing myself to open up to someone like this. Livius was practically a total stranger to me, but the mate bond made him seem so familiar. It made everything he did lovable. It tossed out any paranoid thoughts I may have when entering a relationship, suppressed any kind of doubt, and entirely erased any potential negativity. I couldn't stop myself from getting closer to him. It really was aggravating.

A part of me m, however, was grateful for the bond. It blinded me, yes, but it's not like I wanted to  love him the same way humans do. For once in my life I simply wanted to follow my wolf instincts. I wanted to take a risk. I wanted to jump into the terrifying depth that he was, regardless of whether I knew how to swim. People described the mate bond as an addictive drug. But this wasn't a drug.

It was stronger. Uncontrollable. And it only grew more every day. Every moment I spent away from him it grew, and every moment I spent with him, it urged me to do things I would never do with someone I barely knew. The bond almost seemed alive. Like a demanding creature between us, that tugged us together. Even Livius was frustrated by it. Shocked by his inability to entirely control it.

I sighed against him, my own thoughts giving me a headache.

"What's on your mind, my queen?" he inquired, eyes curious, and I peaked up at him, meeting his piercing gaze, before going back to drawing random shapes against his skin, marvelling at the heat that ran up my arm whenever I touched him.

"Just thinking," I said simply in response.

"About?"

I shrugged, "the bond."

He grunted in response, as though the mere thought of it annoyed him, and I giggled. He was so used to controlling everything. Our mate bond probably made him feel like a pawn.

"Hey Livius?" I spoke up slowly, my voice soft.

"Hm?"

"Do you ever wonder what it'd be like if we weren't wolves? If you weren't the glorious Alpha King that you are, and I wasn't a fae. If we were just two people. Two humans, going about with our lives? What would it be like? Would we have even met?" I asked quietly.

He was quiet for a few moments, lost in thought before he replied to my strange inquiry, "I've thought about it before. Several times, actually. This may surprise you Alexandria, but as a child I hated being royalty. I didn't want to be the King's firstborn child. I didn't dream of becoming Alpha King someday. I never hoped to rule the werewolf world. To be honest, I think I just wanted to find my mate and live a quiet life. Without a pack, or any rules. Without paperwork, or meetings. Just the two of us. Somewhere on the other side of the world. Away from this messy and stressful life. But if being King is what it took for me to meet you, then I don't regret a single second of it."

Livius paused, glancing down at me with a gentle smile, his eyes a tender and relaxed shade of blue, "As for what it would be like to be human?"

He chuckled at the thought, and shook his head, "I can't imagine a world without mates. But I know one thing for sure. You'd be you. The adorable, perfect, tiny, and trouble making thing that you are. And I'd be me. Whatever the fuck that entails. Point is, we'd exist, in the same world, on the same planet, under the same sky. And even if the moon goddess didn't show us a sign herself, to tell us that we were mates, I'd know."