Selfless

A/N: A tragic love story showing how true love encompasses even death, that to protect someone important, you can sacrifice anything, even your life.

*****

"Miss, do you need help?" a stranger offered when I set my plastic bags on the ground. I flexed my numb hands as I stared at him. "They looked too heavy for such a small girl like you." 

"Thanks, but sorry. I'll call a taxi," I replied with a smile. I knew he meant no harm, but I felt annoyed that he called me a small girl. My height, five feet four inches, was perfectly average. For shouting out loud, I'm a college student! 

Fortunately, he left me without being pushy. Although I rejected him, he looked pleased. I watched him till he disappeared to the next street. Soon, I saw an available taxi from afar, and waved. I sighed as I picked up my month's worth of grocery. All of a sudden, they slipped off my grasp. 

"Oh damn!"  

I realized that my pink shoulder bag was open. I cussed under my breath when my wallet was nowhere to be found. Where the hell did it go? 

The taxi pulled into a stop in front of me. The driver waited, but I didn't climb inside the vehicle. When he met my eyes, I apologetically shook my head. He raised his brows, murmured something to himself, and then sped away. 

I felt anger seethe within me. I gritted my teeth as I held back my tears. That thieving stranger tricked me! How could he?! My allowance, my money, all gone... 

"Jasmine?" 

I turned my head around upon hearing the familiar voice. A tall red-haired guy in black leather jacket flashed me a grin.  

"Nathan!" 

All my fury dissolved as soon as I was in his strong, warm arms. My tears ran freely now, my throat filled with sobs. His chest felt so comforting. His fingers gently stroke my curled brown hair, then my face. 

"I missed you so much, baby," he whispered to my ears. Realizing what he intended to do, I immediately pushed him away and playfully punched his arm. 

"Why didn't you tell me you're coming back?" 

"I wanted to surprise you. I initially went to your apartment, but your neighbor said you were out buying stuffs." He pulled out a handkerchief and dried my eyes. "Now, stop crying for me. It doesn't suit your pretty face." 

"I'm not crying because of you," I lied. "I was robbed, and I was afraid that I would have to carry those till I get home." 

He eyed the grocery for a few seconds, and shrugged. He carried them effortlessly, and motioned me to follow him. 

"How was work?" I asked as I walked beside him. It made me ecstatic to finally have him here with me. It has been a week since I last saw him. 

"As tiring as ever," he replied in a clipped voice. "The new director has a nasty temper. He would get mad like a fire-breathing dragon for every little mistake." 

"Then that's a good thing," I commented. He paused and stared at me like I was someone who lost my mind. I stuck my tongue out like a five-year old. "Honestly, at least he would be more than capable of controlling your attitude. You're so lazy. I wonder how you can keep up with that industry." 

He rolled his eyes as we entered a parking lot. "Well, forgive me for being so handsome that Hollywood has no choice but take me in." 

"There goes his ego," I mumbled to myself. 

"I heard that." 

We finally reached his shiny black motorcycle. He pulled a thick string from his pocket and tied the plastic bags together, securing them so that they wouldn't fall. I snatched the silver helmet from the seat and placed it on his head.