Where Are You?

Where are you?

Last Christmas, you didn’t come. You also missed the Media Noche at Tata Carlo’s. Janice got married and Lolo Pancho had a mild stroke. Your brother graduated cum laude, and Hanna got a bronze in a judo competition. The twins lost their big game. They were distracted, trying to look for you. They said you promised to drop by but like always, you didn’t come. You never came.

Where are you?

At seven every night, I prepare dinner. Last night, I cooked your favorite. It was my birthday. Did you remember? Jesse said that he saw you from his window, but by the time I arrived you were gone. Did you leave me a gift? Was that it? I never found it. I'm sorry. I must have been thoroughly distracted.

Did you see the flowers I left at your table? I change them every day, you know. I hope that you noticed, though your co-worker said you’re on leave for months. She said you were with your boss. Are you on a business trip? You never mentioned that. Why did you never mention that?

I’m sure you’ll be tired once you’re back. Call me. I will fetch you. But did you lose your phone? My calls never connected.

I added throw pillows on the sofa so that you can relax while watching your favorite program. I cut my hair short like you asked me to, removed the paintings you hated so much, changed the incense on the altar, cleaned your uniform . . .

Sophia, sweetheart, I beg you, please come back.

I didn’t mean to make you cry. I didn’t mean to shout at you back then. I lost control. I’m sorry. I’ll never do it again.

Give us a second chance. We can make this work. I know we can.

I promise I’ll take care of you better. I promise to be home on time for dinner. I promise that I will respect it when you say no. I will never hurt you again, ever. Just come back. Come back to us. The twins miss you. I miss you.

Where are you?