"I'll be right back," I told him before closing the car door.

I grabbed Cat's hand and walked up my aunt's driveway. I left the car seat on the patio and rang the doorbell. Immediately dogs started to bark and I could hear my zia telling them to be quiet.

"Ciao, bella," Zia Aurora said kissing my cheeks.

She looked past me to see Michael's car on the curb.

"Why don't you invite him in?" she asked as Cat pushed past her and ran inside.

"Um, we're kind of on a date."

"Oh, okay. Well, next time then, huh? Where you guys going?" she asked picking up Jock, the Jack Russel Terrier before he escaped outside.

"Coronado. To ride bikes," I said petting Jock.

Jock, and her other dog Trusty, a basset hound, used to live with us off and on growing up, hence their names from Lady and the Tramp. They are basically family members, very spoiled ones, too.

"Okay, have fun. Love you."

"Love you, too. Tell my mom I probably won't be home for dinner."

"Okay, see you later," she said waving goodbye.

I made my way back to the car and saw that Michael had entered directions to Coronado from where we were as I buckled my seatbelt.

"Shall we?"

"Let's go!"

____

When we arrived in Coronado, I directed him to park on a side street a couple of blocks behind the main drag so that we didn't have to pay for parking. Most residential streets on Coronado are permit-only, but if you know where to look you can get lucky sometimes.

I slung my purse over my shoulder and we headed towards Sam's bike rental shop across from Hotel del Coronado. The weather was perfect for bike rides, cool enough that I slipped on my jacket I had brought with me for just in case. The sun was out, but it wasn't very hot considering the summer had started.

"So...What have you been up to since I saw you last?" Michael asked as we waiting to cross the street.

"Uh, since last weekend?" I said, poking fun at the fact that we did just see each other at my party.

"Yes, in the last seven days," he said smirking at my remark.

"Just work, you?"

"Yeah, work and music lessons."

We paused our conversation as we entered the bike shop.

"Hey guys, how can I help you?" the young man at the counter asked. He looked like a high school student.

"Two bikes, please."

"Okay, for how long? It's $7 for an hour or $20 for half-day."

"Can we just do an hour for now, and pay extra if we stay longer?" I asked.

"Yeah, sounds good. That'll be $14."

"Great, thanks," Michael said pulling out a twenty from his wallet and handing it to the kid.

He rang it up on an old register and handed Michael his change.

"I just need one of you to sign this form regarding any accidents or injuries while I pull the bikes out front. Do you want any baskets or a bike lock?"

"Yes to both," I said as Michael signed the paper.

Michael picked up one of the maps on the counter and looked over the outlined bike path.