"What?" I say, though I already know.

"It's Tessa," Ella hisses. "How would she know of this? And if that's her, then where's Jessie?"

I scowl. "That's not the problem. If she's here, that means either Herondale or Carstairs is here."

I notice Ella pale. And then, "We haven't seen you in a long time, Schlange."

Ella smiles viciously, turning to face the speaker. "Ah, Chamäleon. I've been busy, unless you didn't know. Father keeps both Krähe and me busy."

  Rabe looks out at the crowd. "This is certainly quite the ball. Who are we after this time?"

"No one," I say calmly. "We are simply here for supervising. Collecting information."

I then spot Will. He's watching both me and Ella. He's too sharp eyed to not recognise us even when we have our masks on. He himself has a mask. He watches with both shock and anger in his eyes as I hear Ella laugh at something the other Schlange had said.

"Herondale is here," I lean over and whisper to her.

Ella doesn't let anything show, just gives me a small nod. Suddenly a vampire comes and whispers something into her ear. Ella smiles slyly and nods, probably acting.

She stands, and I do too.

"Gericht, scatter," I say softly, and they all stand up and vanish into the crowd.

"Magnus is waiting for us," Ella whispers. "Tessa. We have to make sure she isn't recognised."

"Let's go have a chat with Nathaniel Gray. We can draw him away," I say.

"Father has spies here," Ella says, eyes narrowed. "It won't be wise."

"I suggest we go," I say as we walk down the steps. Many turn and watch us, especially Ella.

"Fine."

We head over to Nate as he talks to Jessie.

"Nathaniel," Ella says, smiling. "Why weren't we invited to the wedding?" She says it jokingly, of course.

"As always, you know of everything," Nate says.

I know he's afraid of us. Everyone is.

"Of course. Jessamine. Shock seeing you here," Ella says. Tessa is staring at her with round eyes, shock radiating off her.

"Likewise," Tessa finally says.

I look at Nate. "Mortmain wishes to speak to you. That is what the messenger said, at least. You should know where to find him."

Nate frowns, but he won't defy me. Defy us.

He nods curtly, turning to Tessa. "I'm sorry, my dearest. I will only take a while."

Then he disappears.

"Our work is done," Ella says, smirking at Jessie. "I think that Will wishes to speak to you, Miss Jessamine."

Will has already walked up to the three of us, though.

"What are you doing here?" He demands, glaring at me and Ella.

Suddenly Rabe is next to us, looking amused.

"Krähe, Schlange, he is waiting," Rabe says.

Ella smiles maliciously, much like our Father would. "Thank you."

Rabe laughs and leaves, and I shake my head.

"We'd better go," I say.

"You're not going anywhere until you explain yourselves," Will says through gritted teeth.

"Trust me, he'll come after both of you soon," I say. "You'd better go before Gray comes back, though. I suggest a balcony. Where he can see you."

Then I take Ella's elbow and we leave.

~

"You blew your cover," Magnus says, shaking his head. "Tessa and Will wouldn't stop pestering me about it. You'll be reported to the Clave."

"Will that give us an advantage?" I wonder.

"You aren't actually going to do as he wishes, are you?" Magnus asks.

"We're open to suggestions," Ella says dryly.

Suddenly the drawing room door is thrown open, and I blink in surprise.

Will stalks in.

He is barely recognizable. His elegant evening clothes are torn and stained with mud, his coat ripped lengthwise, his boots encrusted with mud.

His hair stands up wildly, and his face is raked by dozens of scratches, as if he had been attacked by a dozen cats simultaneously.

"I'm sorry, sir," says Archer despairingly. "He pushed past me."

  "Magnus," Will says. He is grinning. "Tell him to let me in."

Magnus waves a hand. "Let him in, Archer."

"Herondale," I finally say, breaking the stunned silence.

"Here we go," Magnus rolls his eyes.

Ella takes off her mask. We both hadn't taken them off. I discard mine as well, sitting up lazily. I was lounging on the divan, and Ella was seated on a couch with Magnus.

"Aren't you a sight," She tells Will.

"You two," Will growls. "You two were there. Why were you there?"

Ella looks to me, tilting her head to the side. Should I tell him?

"Vater wird uns töten," I say.

"Was soll ich ihm sagen?"

"nichts," I answer, eyes narrowed.

Magnus looks between the two of us. "You're a schlange. You should know how," he say to Ella.

Ella stands. "Let's have a talk."

She heads out of the drawing room, and Will follows.