Chapter Sixteen: Meet The Professor

"Ok, kids! Time to wake up!"

Matthew woke me and River up.

I got out of the truck with River still asleep in my hands.

We were at an old, but well kept building. There was a sign that said 'Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters.'

Xavier... Where in the world did I hear that name before?

"Welcome to Xaveir's school for gifted youngsters! This is where I work." Matthew said excitedly.

We get out of the truck and started to follow Matthew to the school.  "So what's your job here?" I asked.

"I'm a teacher.  I teach World History. And a little bit of Christianity..."

I laughed. "So you are a Preachin' Teacher?" I asked.

He slightly chuckled at that. "I guess you can say that." 

"You say that a lot."

"I know."

We start to walk over to to the building's entrance and went inside. When we did, there were hundreds of kids and teens waiting at the door for him.

"Mr. Curtis! Welcome back!" They all said simultaneously.  There is something strange about these kids. Even though they were all different ages, most of them looked the same. But not all of them.

"Thank you, class.  Mary, can you be in a singular form please?"

All of the students who looked similar suddenly went into one body.  Now instead of twenty or more students, there were now thirteen.

"Sorry, sir." Mary said.

"It's ok, kid. I know your trying to make me feel better and all since I have the smallest class in the school right now. I swear, I'm not bothered by it. At least it's you guys.  And speaking of that, we might have a couple of newbies!" He told them.

 Sounds of excitement rose up when I was presented to them. 

"What's your name?"

"Where'd you came from?"

"What's your cat's name?"

The questions were being asked at the same time and it was really stressful.  Thank God Matthew pulled me out o the game of Fifty Questions by explaining to his students that I needed to see someone first before I answered any questions.

Who ever said I was going to answer any questions?

Matthew and I (River too. She was still asleep in my arms. What a surprise!) went up a flight of stairs and went into an office.

We went into the office of course, only to find a teacher teaching his class. The teacher was bald, dressed in a nice suit, and in a wheelchair.

"Sorry, Professor. This is important." Matthew said urgently.

The Proffesor looked at me, then nodded at Matthew like he understood the situation.

"Alright class, I will need that assignment next Tuesday.  Class dissmissed."

Then the students started to walk out the door. And I was caught by surprise when a girl decided to run through me then the wall. What kind of school is this?!

The Professor now had all of his attention on us. And pointed at a couple of chairs in front of his desk. "Please, sit down, Mira."

I sat down, not caring how he got my name. There were too many surprises here so I guess you can see them coming.

"So Mathew, how did you find her?" the Professor asked.

He scratched his head in a form of embarrasment. "Well, I was looking for her but then my truck ran out of gas. So when I was going to pay for the gas and some snacks, there she was."

"Wait, you were looking for me?" I asked.  I didn't even wait for an answer. I jumped up out of my seat and grabbed the collar of Mattew's shirt.

Mira, please stop.

I instantly let go. Was he going through my mind? Or was it someone else?

"Who did that?" I asked them.  "I did." the Professor said.

I back away in fear. "Who the hell are you?"  He smirked and rolled out from his desk over to me. "My name is Charles Xavier. I am here to help you. I understand the situation that you are in." 

I laughed in disbeleif. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude or anything, but enlighten me. Explain my situation if you understand."

The professor frowned. "You ran away from your home for murder of your town's mayor. You met Mystique, who raised you for a good five years, bless her heart. You were then betrayed and then in the custody of Magneto. Then you befriended a girl who called herself Salus and then ran away from Magneto's hideout with her. Then you-"

"Stop! Just...stop. No more. You win."  I was this close to breaking down and crying. But I didn't.

Charles was silent for a moment. "You don't have anywhere else to stay, don't you?"  I silently shook my head. "Then you can stay here. It is safe here. We can provide you with knowledge and a place to stay for you. Do you accept?"

I nodded in response.

"Good then! We will tell the other students about you. And if you haven't noticed before, all of us here are mutants. So they would want to know about your abilities."

My head shot up. "Oh God, no!" I shouted.  The Professor eyed me with questions. "What's wrong?"

"Um, can I just tell them about a couple of my abilities? There is one that I would not really share with people. Only a handful know about this. But please?"  I do not want people to be afraid of me, since people and even mutants are afraid of that disgusting form.

The Professor nodded. "As you wish."

I felt River jump out of my arms and into the Professor's lap. He chuckled. "Is this your sister?"

I laughed a little bit. "Yes sir."  He rubbed River's head and gave her back to me. "She can share a room with you if you want."

"Yes sir." I answered.

"Well then, it looks like everything is in order. Welcome to Xavier's school for gifted youngsters."