Chapter 3 (The journey)

Start from the beginning

As they approached nearer to their destination, path widened and sun rays falling on the trees made them seem golden and bright.

Slender tree branches danced with the light breeze.

Puddles of clear water were showing the reflection of trees and passers as they passed by.

Only sounds that disturbed this tranquility was either of chirping or dry autumn leaves being crushed under their shoes.

Soon after they reached their destination.

They got rid of their weights and sat on huge stones to relax a bit.

*****************

For a lazy person like me,
two mile is too much walking for a single day.

It was good to just sit and relax between nature, I thought. But we can not afford to sit lazily because it would soon become dark and cold.

John and Harry decided to collect some woods and assigned us the duty to set camps up, but Layla being Layla decided to go with John and leave Harry and me behind.

She didn't forget to wink in my direction before she disappeared in the woods.

I could only smirk as I got her hint.

As much as she may try to get us into a relationship it won't happen until I get out of my comfort zone.

Harry was sweet and charming and I didn't think he would be interested in dating someone like me. And this was my weakness, I lacked self-confidence.

"So are you enjoying so far"? As always he made the first move when he saw me engrossed in thoughts.

"Yeah! I like it, I mean...it's different". I responded.

It was a good conversation starter, we started conversing about weather and areas of mutual interest.

I didn't feel uncomfortable or shy talking to him, as I did with most people, he was such kind of a person.

As I opened up more he told me:

"I used to be like you, I mean antisocial and all that. I really wanted to hang out with people but I had a severe social anxiety. But I tried and overcame it."

"How come?" I asked because I really wanted to know.

I had a grade four social anxiety disorder and antisocial personality disorder, if such a thing existed.

"It's not simple but it's not impossible as well. I made some rules for myself and followed them until I got rid of it completely. I call them the golden rules to lead a better life."
He said cheerfully.

"I hope you don't mind sharing them". I was getting curious to know the damn rules.

"I don't mind sharing them with my friends". He extended his palm in my direction. "Friends?"

I grabbed it as a thirsty person grabs a cold bottle of water.

"Friends." I hope I wasn't being too obvious. I searched his face for any such expression but his eyes were glowing with emotions and although I couldn't see my face but I had a feeling I might be blushing.

"Okay now please proceed with the rules." I was keen.

He gave me a smirk.

"Okay before we start, there is something you need to ask yourself. And that is

Are you actually willing to change yourself? I mean do it for yourself, not for others. Don't stress yourself because you don't fit in or because you are not like 'them'. You don't have to become 'someone else' you have to become yourself, a better version of yourself."
I nodded. I, for sure, wanted to get rid of my social anxiety.

"First rule is:

"Take your time, keep yourself motivated, take small steps, and appreciate even the little improvement you make."

I realized I was doing the opposite.

I wanted to cure it with a magic wand without putting any effort. If I tried socializing I'd rush things up and end up in awkward situations leading to me panicking and cursing myself later.

If I made any improvements I never appreciated it instead cursed myself for not making significant progress.

Meanwhile he had fixed the first tent.

"Noted." I said as I got his point.

"Rule number" he gestured two fingers to express the figure.

He came to help me because I was struggling with the second tent.

"Detach yourself from toxic people and surround yourself with positivity. Positive people and positive thoughts will give you confidence. Most importantly it's 'you' who will give you confidence and confidence is the key to successful social life."

Now he was standing in front of me fixing the tent I was struggling with. I recalled all my so-called friends who would make fun of my social anxiety making me more self-conscious and depressed.

He continued after a brief pause.

"Third rule says:

Find yourself a companion. It can be a psychiatrist, a friend or a partner. Find yourself that right person who will help you level up mentally and emotionally."

His words were doing wonders. I could feel the sparks in my veins.

It dawned on me I had found that 'freind'.

Third tent was secured in no time because we fixed it 'together'.

"Last but certainly not the least" he said as we moved towards the last tent which was balled up in a mess.

"Never give up on yourself. Keep taking time for yourself until you are 'who you want to be'."

I knew I had given up on myself long time ago.

It didn't mean I'd accepted myself the way I was, I gave up on myself in disappointment.

But now I was ready to start again.

"Damn that was great. You almost hypnotized me." I giggled, he too seemed amuse with my statement.

"I'll keep them in mind but I will definitely need further assistance in future."

"Anytime." He said assuringly.

We were done with our work as we fixed the last hut. I dusted off dirt from my shirt and glanced at the tents.
All the huts were standing firm on the ground. We both smiled satisfied with our work.

He was a great fixer. He could easily fix things....and perhaps people.