Chapter 3 (The journey)

After driving for almost an hour they turned on a dirt road.

Layla had been nattering all the way while Stella only passed comments every now and then. Last time she could remember going on such a trip was with her parents. So she was enjoying the sereneness.

Signboards displaying Danger could be seen between the trees that lined either side of road. As the trees became more dense, path became even darker, though it was the sixth hour of daylight.

John parked his car in a small opening when they reached the barbed wire fence. They had to go by foot onwards.

"Our destination is 2 miles from here."

John informed them as they all got out of car.

They arranged their backpacks on their backs and shoulders and started marching towards the camping sight.

John and Harry were leading, with the help of a map, while both sisters followed suit.

The trees stood tall and silent observing the four uninvited visitors.

******************

If you go a few miles from there into the woods and beyond, you'll see the territory of Werewolves- Northstar Pack, as they called it.

The Alpha of Northstar Pack, Ryan, was sitting in the balcony of his mansion.

He was staring at the clouded horizon and seemed engrossed in thoughts.

His eyes were deep blue like a sea- lonely, desolate and mysterious outwards, yet having an entire different world hidden beneath. He was irresistibly attractive.

He had been feeling a sort of a vague longing lately.

His wolf ,too,was disturbed and agitated.

He had been ignoring this feeling, for he knew it was a longing for a mate.

Strange as it may seem, he didn't want a mate but he still desperately needed one.

He knew mate was weakness of a Werewolf so he did not want one, but again he knew that Alphas must have their heirs. He wanted pups- a future Aplha who would inherit his title.

Werewolves were considerably less in number as compared to humans. There were a total of 4 Werewolf territories, 12 packs, and countable number of wolves.

He was afraid they would soon become an endangered specie if things went with this pace.

Northstar Pack was a well-off pack compared to other packs. It wouldn't be wrong to attribute this to Alpha Ryan.

Pack had prospered significantly during his reign. He was very strict with the rules, no one ever dared to defy him.

Their territory was blessed with natural resources. Mines full of gold and precious stones were their major source of income, and reason for their prosperity.

He dismissed the thoughts and headed inside to take a warm shower to calm down his wolf.

****************

I've to admit I'd have regretted not coming here. I mean this place is mesmerizing.

If I had a dog and lived close to these woods I'd not mind coming here daily for a walk. But I won't tell Layla I'm enjoying this trip already because then she will lecture me on taking-steps-beyond-your-comfort-zone-is-nice and how-to-avoid-being-an-introvert.

Little does these 'cool' people know it's not by choice its by nature.

****************