04| Truth and Lies

Start from the beginning

Dick smiled at me and I wasn't very sure how I should respond the gesture, so I only gave him a tight lipped smile in return as I looked away from him. I probably looked like a scared idiot and as I continued to think I felt me cheeks heat up. Times like these I was grateful for my darker skin.

"So you look better." Dick stated, and I wondered how long he has been doing this, he wasn't much older than me. But he definitely didn't carry himself the same way Batman did. He seemed much more open, but I knew something horrible had to have happened to him to make him into a vigilante.

"Because I'm not covered in sweat and dirt." I said crossing my arms over my chest daring to meet his eyes only to see that he seemed amused. "I can't imagine how horrible I looked."

"Not at all."

"I'm sure you still want to know about what happened the other night." Batman asked me abruptly as he took a step closer and I had to fight every instinct that told me to run away.

I nodded, because for a second it felt like I had lost the ability to speak. "Yes."

"Your mother was classified as a meta-human with powers similar to yours. Those powers being the reason why she was killed, and consequently the death of your step-father who was killed in an attempt to protect her." He told me, immediately making me feel light headed. It was too much to quickly already and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to hear everything that they had to say.

"Back then the meta-human trafficking ring was killing metas for experimenting." Dick continues to tell me, and I felt slightly relieved to be hearing this information from someone he seemed to by slightly sympathetic towards my situation. "Now the've realized that they are worth for for dead than alive. They can be used as human weapons."

"Your meta-human gene was not active up until you came in contact with electricity." Batman said, and although I couldn't see his eyes I knew he was studying me. Seeming to take in everything I was doing and I was beginning to get extremely unnerving, so I had to look away. "You killed all those men. And absorbed all the electricity. Electricity that your body has yet to grow accustomed to."

"That's why you fainted." Dick told me a small smile on his lips. And I wondered what he found so amusing, a part of me just wanted to slap him across the face for it. "It was amazing seeing you do that."

"I hope you realize that the abilities that you have now accessed are dangerous." He stated in a dark tone, that told me that if I ever used them incorrectly there would be consequences. "That you are dangerous."

"Don't worry I don't plan on using them at all." I told him feeling myself get a little braver. This man seems so heartless. He's told me about my dead parents in such a neutral and bored tone that made me feel like I had simply lost a goldfish.

I had no intentions of using these powers that I suddenly had. I just wanted to get make to living my normal life and pretend that none of these happened.

What did Batman think I was going to do? Rob a jewelry store now that I had powers?

He was being ridiculous and now he was the one I wanted to punch across the face. I never think I've felt so angry in my life.

"But maybe you might want to learn more about them." Dick added as be looked at his partner with a look that I couldn't really place. They almost seemed to be silently communicating with each other. "How to control them. We can help you with that."

"I do appreciate the help, but I just want to go back home." I said feeling extremely tired, with a great need to just stay in bed for the rest of my life. I wasn't sure if I could stay in this place anther night.

"I'm afraid that's not possible." Batman told me his voice still so neutral though I had a feeling that what I was about to hear was not going to be good news. "Your apartment was destroyed there's nothing to go back to."

I still couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that this man could deliver such devastating news to me as if he were simply telling me about the weather. Now I was simply sick to my stomach. With a headache that felt that my head was going to explode.

I had absolutely nothing and no one now.

Both my mother and father's shop and home were destroyed. And I had no where to go. It took everything in my power to not let the tears building up in my eyes be set free. These three men in front of me already saw me as some scared little girl. The last thing I needed was for them to see me cry and embarrass myself further.

"I'm sorry." Dick said and for a moment it seemed that he wanted to reach out towards me, but decided against it. "But you can stay here as long as you want. I've already asked Alfred to set up a room for you."

"Yes, but I'm afraid it will have to be here." Alfred added slowly, and Dick seemed to tense up from the news.

"What?"

"She can't stay with us Dick." Batman told him in a warning tone. It almost sounded as if a father was telling his son that he couldn't keep the stray dog that they found on the street. And that was not okay with me.

Dick shook his head in disbelief, a challenging look on his face. "What do you think she's going to do?"

"You don't know her."

"I want to go back to my apartment." I told them wanting to prevent whatever argument seemed to be starting between the two of them. I wasn't some kind of pet or object for them to decide what they wanted to do with. "I want to see it myself."

***