// 1 //

"One cappuccino, coming right up!" Luna looked at the blonde girl on the other side of the counter. The girl sent her a smile and told her thanks before stepping out of line to wait for her order. Luna smiled back, but felt that it did not reach her eyes. An almost inaudible sigh escaped her lips, before she pushed another fake smile on her lips as the person next in line stepped up to the counter and stated his order. 

As soon as it was time for her break, she stepped away from the counter without a second thought and walked to the back of the coffee shop, through the kitchen and the storage room, right out the back door. She was immediately greeted by the smell of smoke wafting through the air, which she welcomed, and she smiled genuinely when she saw Ella, her coworker, leaning against the grey brick wall. A cigarette was delicately placed between her index and middle finger as she held it against her lips and slowly took a drag. Ella looked up and smiled back. Wordlessly, she grabbed a pack from her pocket and tossed it to Luna.

"Thanks," Luna muttered, picking out a cigarette from the pack before lighting it as well, and giving it back to her coworker. "Really needed that." She took a long and slow drag as Ella watched her.

"I'll bet," Ella said, "busy day today."

Luna grimaced. "I fucking hate it here anyway." Ella laughed at this. 

"You know, I do remember a time when you weren't this bitter. In fact, you used to come into work all chipper and smiles most of the time." Ella tapped her chin and pretended to reminisce as Luna rolled her eyes. 

"Shut up," Luna chuckled humorlessly. "You're no ray of sunshine either."

"Ah yes, that's true. But that's just my personality," Ella laughed. "But seriously, are you still not over that asshole?" 

Luna sighed, staring at the cigarette in her left hand, the heat burning closer and closer towards her fingers. With her right hand she picked at the dark-blue apron that was tied around her waist. For some reason, the break-up always came up in their conversations some way or another. 

"To be fair, we were dating for three years. That's a long time," Luna muttered, not meeting Ella's eyes. She still felt that familiar pang in her chest when she thought about him.

"Well, the bastard cheated. He didn't deserve you." Luna looked up into her friends eyes and sent her a small smile. Ella could be quite harsh and direct, but she always meant it in the best way. 

"I need to get back inside if I don't want to get any shit again," Ella chuckled. She took one last drag of her cigarette before putting it out on the wall and chucking it in the trash can that stood next to the door.  She tightened her blonde hair in her ponytail and straightened out her apron, which matched Luna's.

"Good luck in there," Luna said with a grimace on her face. Ella sent her a two-fingered salute, opened the door and disappeared inside.

Checking her watch, Luna saw she had about ten minutes left before her break was over. She looked up at the sky, watching the grey clouds shift in front of a non-existing sun. She scrunched up her nose at the sad weather and heaved another sigh. Shaking her head, she looked down again and leaned her back against the wall. She brought the cigarettes to her lips, inhaling the smoke like her life depended on it. 

Now that she was alone, her thoughts took over again, like they always did. Or at least, since a month ago. She knew he did not deserve a second thought in her mind, but he inadvertently claimed every single one of them. She had loved him, more than anything, for three years. She stayed in their home town for him, while all her other friends moved away to go to college, or to pursue a career somewhere else. She gave up so much for him. But he made sure to show Luna their feelings were not mutual. In the most dick-ish way possible. Ella was right, he didn't deserve her.