Chapter Twelve: I like Sweet Things

Chapter 12: I like Sweet Things

Iggy PoV

Dear God, if you exist and have any mercy towards birdkids, who don’t believe in you since we were born in test tubes, please kill me right this damn moment. Max blushed pink, but stared right at me, expecting an answer. Why me? Why now? Why must she look at me with those big caramel eyes? (Not chocolate Fang!)

“Wa- why do you wanna know?” I ask dejectedly. She blushed brightly, and looked away with tormented eyes.

“Be-because the first time we met, he k-kissed me. But now, he seems to hate me for some reason. I want to go talk to those kids. But that F-fang, scares me for some reason,” She lowered her head and began to mumbled. Her fingers interlaced mine, and held on tighter, like I was her life line. I repeat, so damn strong! “Every time I try to remember him, my heart feels like its burning. It-it really hurts. Who is he to me?” She whispers with quiet eyes.

Don’t look at her eyes, no matter what Iggy don’t look. Be a man and don’t look. Oh shit, she’s gonna cry. Okay don’t panic- too late panicking.

“Max,” I mumble. I don’t really have choice do I. She needs to know. I love Max, and I want her to myself. But I love Fang too. Minus the period when he acted like a douche when Lissa was around, Fang is my best friend. The things I couldn’t tell the Gazzer, I had Fang for. We were both growing men, and we needed someone to talk about . . . things with.

I don’t want to be the one to tell Max why she doesn’t remember anything. I don’t want her to hate Fang for what happened. Not that I know exactly what happened. According to Angel, it had been established that it was ENTIRELY Lissa’s fault and not Fang’s. Since the dude’s innocent, I really don’t wanna ruin his impression to Max. The last thing I’d want is for Max to hate him.

I really do care for Fang. That’s why I have his back no matter what. Now that he ain’t being controlled by some witch with B, I trust the dude’s judgment. Even if I didn’t like the way he acted around Max an hour ago. Can’t say I blame him either, he only wanted Max to realize she was hurtin the flock. Course, if it were me I woulda been more subtle about it.

“I guess I could tell you a little bit about it,” I mumble. I took comfort in the fact that there were warm hands wrapped around mine. I was thankful she waited for me to get my thoughts together. Had it been the old Max, she might have yelled at me for thinking, or been in shock.

“Fang’s your best friend, and right wing man. You trusted him more than anyone,” More than me, I added mentally. “And later, he was your boyfriend.”

“My boyfriend-” She drawled, as if the words were foreign to her. She looked to me for an explanation. A tinge of curiosity and excitement in her eyes, but more noticeably was a blush, painted across her cheeks. My unoccupied fingers started twitching as my face heated up.

“Y-yeah, the dude was head over wings for you since you were seven. You also started favoring Fang around the same time. But you didn’t get together till much later,” I stumbled over my own words trying to explain. This is so not cool. Since when do I, Iggy the great, suck at talking? I swear if I had the chance, I’d rival Nudge at a talk off.

“What happened between us?” She slowly questioned barely above a whisper. Her face was really red now and she looked absolutely beautiful. I swallowed the jealous venom in my mouth. I’d never cause her to blush like that.

“You should probably,” I pause trying to sort my own words “-ask Fang,” I whisper. She heard me anyway, being a birdkid and all. Max nodded awkwardly, and seemed to drop the subject.

“So you ready to meet the others?”

            “Don’t you mean reunite?” She said with a cute smile.