Lily

The big and dark forest had always fascinated her. She shot a longing gaze out of the window, letting her fantasy run wild. Ever since they had moved into the little house on the outskirts of the town, she had always imagined how it looked in there, between all the huge old trees. Imagined, how freedom must feel. Her parents would rarely take her out, and as everyone in the little town, they feared the forest. Lily just didn't get it. They warned her not to go there, everyone feared the creatures in the dark. But her desire was just so strong that she couldn't resist. The fascination of the freedom that potentially awaited her was so tempting, to break out of her dark home and finally live the adventure of her dreams. One night, she got all prepared. The sun was just turning the sky into a bright red color, preparing to go to sleep for the night, when Lily headed out. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes and made the first step into the big forest. Beneath the old trees, she felt small, all her problems suddenly seemed so far away. Her poor living conditions were replaced by the smell of adventure and the taste of freedom. Lily kept walking into the forest, deeper and deeper, with a mind full of wonder. She had never seen something like this before, everything was new to her. The smell of pine trees, the soft green meadows and the dark wood of the old trees. She followed a small path, taking her further and further away from home. Lily didn't realize it was getting darker and nightfall was only moments away. Her desire to explore made her forget all common sense and soon she didn't think of all the warnings anymore. Somewhere far away, she heard the howling of what must've been one of these creatures of the night, wolves as they called them in her little village. She had never seen one before, but the sound was just as she had always imagined it to be. A cold breeze caressed her body and suddenly, she felt the presence of something, that hadn't been there before. Lily didn't dare to turn around, way too afraid of the shadow that she felt behind her back. She just heard its movements, and the slowly creeping steps slowly formed into a melody inside her head. It was almost as if the creature was speaking to her. Don't you worry, the creature said, you'll be safe with me. I have all you ever wanted, you will be safe under my control. It was slowly lulling her into a sense of home and security. I'll give you everything you've ever dreamed of, the creature promised. Lily was unsure of what to do, the creature was playing with her deepest desires. Just let me in. Now it was close, closer than ever. She could only imagine how it must look it. It had Lily hypnotized, dreaming of the magic fairytale she had always imagined in her head. Slowly, Lily started to give in to it. The cold thin ice beneath her feet broke and she started to fall. Just follow everywhere I go. When she had almost given in completely, suddenly something sparked in her head and Lily found the strength to turn around and look her demon straightly into the eye. A scream left her mouth and she started to run. Run away from the creature, out of the forest and away from herself. Is there someone out there? Lily screamed at the top of her lungs, the creature still behind her. Just follow everywhere I go, top over the mountains or valley low. Lily ran and ran and ran, and suddenly, she awoke. Eyes open.