Hero Generation

Breathing heavily, he closed the door behind himself and sat down on the dirty edge of the roof, his feet dangling in the cold air. He had just managed to escape the guards once more. Up here, nobody would be able to find him. They weren't expecting him in such an unusual place during the night. Only once he had been caught on the way back from his secret meetings, but that was many years ago. Still the memory of that was horrifying.

The nightly curfew prohibited everything that meant the world to him. Music, dance and laughter. Hope. Just to increase society's profit. Nobody in the government would care about the small people. The daily schedule would never change. Get up in the morning, get your work done and return back home. Go to sleep. No sense of community.

Most nights, he just stayed awake and kept scheming about all the things he would change in the world, if he just could. He would go up to the roof of his old apartment complex and just watch the shimmering lights of the city fuse with the sparkling nightsky. Sometimes he felt, that it was all just a just a dream. That he would wake up, and it would all be fine in the end. That his world of thoughts would finally become a reality. But it was nothing like that. It was so hard to get to know strangers on the street. Everyone was afraid to break a rule, so that they would rather turn their back on you than to look you straight into the eyes. If he told them, who he really was and what he believed in, he could never be sure to have his secret in safe hands. There were few people, who he could really trust on. But still, he was proud of himself and what he had achieved.

Years ago it had all started with a few of his friends and family. His passion for music had ignited a spark in their hearts. His tunes would sing from pain and healing, his melodies would paint pictures of heartache and hope. He would open his soul to them in times, that people would rather stay quiet than talk. Over the time, their community grew more and more. People joined them and their cause. Lost and lonely hearts seeking hope and light. Nobody would be judged, nobody would be excluded.

On one of his strolls throughout the city, he had discovered the old industrial hall on the outskirts of the city. Since then, the others would regularly join him in his celebrations of life and music. This night had been one of the magical ones. It just felt like he had it all figured out. They owned the night, the place and sometimes it even felt like they owned the whole world. It felt like they were heroes. Every single one of them had the power change the world for the better, even if it was just a small bit. They just held onto their hope, and his melodies would make it even stronger. Even if the night wasn't forever, at least they were together and had each other to rely on. They could've been strangers in the night, but instead they were heroes spreading light and melodies of hope. His music taught them to fly.