Amnesia

I drove by all the places we used to hang out getting wasted
I thought about our last kiss, how it felt the way you tasted
And even though your friends tell me you're doing fine
Are you somewhere feeling lonely even though he's right beside you?

They were long done, but he never quite got over her. How could he? She was is first true love. She meant the would to him, and just like that, with a snap of a finger, she was gone, and he never even got the chance to say goodbye, she just left without a word, only a note reading she was leaving and never coming back, leaving him utterly broken and shattered. He wondered how she was doing lately, hoping she was happy wherever she was. Little did he know just how bad things had gotten for her.

When he says those words that hurt you, do you read the ones I wrote you?

She had moved on from him a long time ago and was happy in her new relationship, at least that's what she always told people. The truth was that her boyfriend was very abusive, not quite physically, but rather verbally. He would say awful things to her, taking his inner frustrations with life out on her to the point where it would leave her in tears. After him yelling at her for an hour straight one day, everything got to much and she locked herself in their bedroom while he was out with friends. As she was looking around for something to ease her pain, she found something in an empty old box she had laying around. It was an old love note from him. She remembered how much simpler things were back then. How sweet, kind and amazing he was and how he'd take care of her when she wasn't feeling well. She sighed at the thought of those memories and read the old note from when they were together. She opened the beautiful note from years ago and felt herself falling for him once again. It was at this moment that she had realized what she had given up for this painful, toxic relationship she didn't even want anymore. she leaned against the bathroom door and slid down crying her eyes out, longing for the comfort of his arms, not the terrible monster she had left him for.

Sometimes I start to wonder, was it just a lie?

She did an amazing job at pretending everything was perfect. So much so that it made him question if everything they had was even real. If the time they spent together meant anything at all to her.

If what we had was real, how could you be fine?'Cause I'm not fine at all

Little did they know, they were both falling apart and losing their minds over eachother. They tries to convince themselves it was for the best but deep down they both knew they so desperately needed the other as much as they needed air to breathe. But neither of them said a word, afraid of what the other would think...

I remember the day you told me you were leaving
I remember the make-up running down your face

She never meant to hurt him the way she did,but she knew she had ti leave to follow her dreams, or at least what she thought those dreams were meant to be.

And the dreams you left behind you didn't need them
Like every single wish we ever made

The two of them had the most wildly absurd dreams of running away, to get out of their stupid closed off town in the middle of no where and living happily ever after. But they both knew that was all it could ever be. Just a dream...

I wish that I could wake up with amnesia
And forget about the stupid little things
Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you
And the memories I never can escape
'Cause I'm not fine at all

She missed the way he held her when she had a bad dream  she missed the comfort and security his touch brought her. She missed everything about him and the way he treated her with so much kindness and respect. He truly loved her, there was no doubt in her mind. He sure as hell loved her more than the one she was with ever would or could. She traded a gem fir an asshole and found herself wishing she could've taken it all back just to be with him again.

The pictures that you sent me they're still living in my phone
I'll admit I like to see them, I'll admit I feel alone
And all my friends keep asking why I'm not around

It hurts to know you're happy, yeah, it hurts that you've moved on

He longed for her just as much as she did him, but both thought the other was better off without them.

It's hard to hear your name when I haven't seen you in so long

It's like we never happened, was it just a lie?
If what we had was real, how could you be fine?'Cause I'm not fine at all

They wee both lost without the other. But he had a feeling something more was going on, and he was going to confront her about it.

If today I woke up with you right beside me
Like all of this was just some twisted dream
I'd hold you closer than I ever did before
And you'd never slip away
And you'd never hear me sayI remember the day you told me you were leaving
I remember the make-up running down your face
And the dreams you left behind you didn't need them
Like every single wish we ever made
I wish that I could wake up with amnesia
And forget about the stupid little things
Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you
And the memories I never can escape'Cause I'm not fine at all
No, I'm really not fine at all
Tell me this is just a dream
'Cause I'm really not fine at all

The next day, the two met up at a local coffee shop and he got straight to the point, asking her how she was. One look, that's all it took for her to fall apart right then and there. She came clean about everything, the abuse, the fear, the pain. She told him everything, and he held her close, afraid to ever let go.