CHAPTER THIRTEEN: What Matters

Start from the beginning

Fuck...

------------------------------------------------------

It took six and a half runs for me to actually have be able to keep track of every dummy I took down; the half being counted as such because I ended up flying into a bird and connecting with a small tree. We had started at eight in the morning, and it was now growing dark, just as I was growing restless.

"Eldy, can I go for a ride again? I mean, I did what I was supposed to, right? Consider it my reward!" I had already begun to remove my gear, but Eld didn't make any move to.
"Just because you did it once doesn't mean you've got it covered, (Y/N)...Plus I'd hope that me not being assaulted by the Captain would be a good enough reward..." He folded his arms, but he had a slightly playful look on his face.

"Pleeeeaaaassseee?! We can get up super early tomorrow and keep training until they get back! Come on, Eldy! I just wanna ride!" Clasping my hands together, I pleaded with him as though it was the most important thing. It kind of was, to me.

I wanted to take this rare chance of freedom by the horns. I could tell he was about to give in, but when he cast his eyes overhead, his smile dropped a little.
"Sorry, kiddo, but we're gonna do one more run...I already set them up again, and it looks like a storm isn't far off..." I followed his gaze and slumped my shoulders as I saw the dark, looming clouds overhead; already flickering in threat.

"Fine...slavedriver..." I grumbled under my breath as I re-fastened my gear. He just laughed at my childish attitude and went to light the torches inside the entry hall of the castle before we whizzed into the trees again; just in case it grew too dark by the time we circled back around. It was almost natural now as I began the repetitive course. Swing, wait, swing, slash, swing, wait, swing, swing, slash, repeat. It was all so monotonous. That was, until, the storm decided to perform a sneak attack.

In the blink of an eye the rain was bucketing down from above the canopy, and flashes of lightning lit up the darkness that was trying to consume the two of us.

"Fucking...shit! Move it, back to the center!" Eld yelled out to me, but I had only barely heard it over the roaring wind and thunder. We were already drenched to the bone, and, to make matters worse, my gear was seizing up. I made a rather abrupt landing on the ground and began to shake my handpiece violently. Eld backtracked and landed a few feet away. "What's the hold up, kid?!"
"The trigger's stuck! This piece of shit won't shoot the anchor!" We were only yelling because of the sheer elemental volume, but it was still frustrating.

"I don't have time to look at it, so hang on!" Eld grabbed me by the wrist; pulling me into his side before curling one arm around my waist. I held onto him tightly as he started off again, and I was pretty close to screaming out. It was such a different feeling, not being in control when using ODM gear, and I wasn't sure I liked it at all. His grip on me was unwavering, which made me feel a little better, but by the time we had reached the clearing by the castle I was feeling rather dizzy.

The two of us sprinted like madmen into the building; panting and wringing wet as Eld leant against the wall and I just opted to plop myself down on the floor.
"Next time, we aren't doing just one more..." I muttered as I gave my head a shake, trying to rid it of the freezing water. Eld just hummed in agreement before making a move to go further in. "Where are you going..?"
"To heat up water. You need to have a hot bath and get changed out of those clothes, otherwise you'll get sick..." He didn't stop to turn around, and I was left on my own for a while.

I'm freezing...but, it's not like I'm not used to dealing with this kind of thing...I was lucky I only ended up getting extremely sick that one time...when they found me...