vi

"Abigail!"

The shout rang through the residence section of the White House from the living room. Abigail Bartlet frowned and continued stirring the batter for the Christmas cookies she was making. "What?" She called back.

"I could use some help!" Abbey frowned, wondering what mess her husband had gotten into this time. She stuck the spoon straight up in the batter and walked into the living room, one hand on her hip. "What is so difficult about lighting a tree...?" She paused at the sight in front of her.

Josiah Bartlet was standing on a stepladder, halfway in the tree, with colorful lights wrapped around his waist. Abbey choked back a laugh as she took in the situation. Jed stuck his head through some branches and gave her a pleading look, and Abbey dissolved into giggles. "Remind me how you were elected president?"

Jed groaned. "Could you just help me out of this, please?"

- - -

Abbey hummed quietly as she put on her favorite Christmas CD and moved around the living room, swaying in time to the music. She carefully arranged the last few ornaments on the tree. Suddenly, she felt hands on her waist and jumped. She relaxed, though, as her husband pressed his lips to the back of her neck.

She spun around, wrapping her hands around Jed's neck. "Merry Christmas, love," she mumbled into his chest as he swayed with her.

"Merry Christmas, baby," he replied, slowly spinning Abbey around. He kissed the top of her head as they danced, out there in the living room. She hummed quietly, contentedly, loving this moment with her husband.

As the song finished, Abbey pressed her lips to her husband's, then leaned against him. They stayed there for some time, enjoying each other, silhouetted by the Christmas lights.

[a/n: ahh with this one i came across some holiday prompts and i couldn't resist writing terribly short scenes]