iv

"The air was sweet with the breath of many apple orchards and the meadows sloped away in the distance to horizon mists of pearl and purple; while 'The little birds sang as if it were/The one day of summer in all the year.'" Abbey Bartlet paused her reading, peering over the edge of the book at her husband. "Jed, honey, are you still awake?" A small smile spread across her face when he didn't reply. "Jed?" She repeated, just to make sure. When there was still no response, she tucked a bookmark into the book.

The sun was setting over the water, and it was comfortably warm. The whole west wing was on a trip to Hawaii, and Abbey and Jed had been enjoying a day to themselves. Now, they were resting on a hammock together, Jed having fallen asleep with his head on her chest. Abbey stared down at her husband, surprised at how calm he looked. She slowly ran a hand through his hair, keeping one leg on the grass to keep them rocking.

This was the first time she'd seen Jed look this happy and calm in a long time, and she didn't want to wake him up. She rocked the hammock back and forth, wrapping an arm around Jed's chest as someone approached them.

Abbey glanced up at C.J. and put a finger to her lips. C.J. smiled softly. "I was just going to let you know we're back," she whispered. "But you look pretty good how you are."

Abbey smiled gratefully as C.J. turned away. She continued her rocking until she, too, fell asleep.

[a/n: i'm pretty sure this was based on a prompt? but it was months ago. i just know i love jed and abbey so 99% of what i write is the first couple]