i

Jed had realized that, yet again, he hadn't been taking the best care of himself. He was working late nights, getting back to the residence at three in the morning and getting up at six to start working again, and he wasn't eating well. Mrs. Landingham constantly reminded him to get something, anything to munch on, but he never seemed to remember. Every time Abigail left for a trip, Jed found himself worrying less and less about his health, and finally, it had caught up with him.

He was finishing a meeting with Leo, Josh, Toby, C.J. and Sam when the episode occurred. He went to stand up and found that he was unable to do so. His head spun, and his vision blacked out for a moment. When he could finally focus on what was going on, he saw Leo and C.J. standing on either side of him, looking worried. Jed attempted to wave them away, but it didn't work.

"Are you okay, sir?" C.J. asked worriedly. "Should I get someone? I don't mean any offense, Mr. President, but you look terrible."

"I'm fine, C.J.," Jed replied, looking away from her and toward Leo. Their eyes met, and Jed knew that Leo understood what was going on.

"The president is fine," Leo assured everyone in the room. "I'll help him up to the residence. You all go back to work." Sam and Josh hesitated a moment, then left the room, followed by Toby and C.J.

"How bad is it, sir?" Leo asked gruffly as he helped his best friend to his feet. Jed took a deep breath and shook his head.

"Not bad, Leo." He was lying. He hated anyone seeing him like this. He didn't like showing signs of weakness, and everyone had seen him today. "It's not bad at all. In fact, I can probably get to the residence myself, I'll just take and Advil and get back to- woah!"

Jed stumbled as he tried walking forward without Leo's help. Leo caught him and wrapped an arm around his waist. "I don't think so, Mr. President," he replied, helping him down the hall.

When they arrived in the residence, Leo settled Jed on the couch and grabbed a thermometer. "I'm no doctor, but I think I know how to use this," he muttered. "Keep this under your tongue for a minute."

Jed nodded, breathing deeply as he held the thermometer under his tongue while Leo sat with him, muttering to himself. Jed only caught bits and pieces, but it sounded as though Leo was blaming himself for not realizing that Jed hadn't been making good decisions.

The president shook his head and pulled the thermometer out, handing it to Leo. "It's not your fault."

Leo glanced at the mercury. "One hundred and one point seven," he declared, ignoring Jed's remark. "That's not good, sir."

"Would you please call me Jed when we're not with everyone else?" Jed asked, looking up at Leo. "You're my best friend, dammit."

He noticed a flicker of emotion pass over Leo's face. "Whatever you say, Mr. President," he responded.

Jed shook his head. "Sit with me," he mumbled. "That's what Abbey always does."

Leo seemed to hesitate for a minute before settling next to Jed. "I should have paid more attention," he whispered.

Jed shook his head again, wrapping an arm around his best friend and chief of staff. "It's not your fault, Leo," he protested quietly. "It's no one's fault."

Leo shook his head, leaning back into Jed's embrace in a way he hadn't had the chance to for years now. "I could have done more-"

"And it wouldn't have stopped me, Leo. You know that by now, I know you do."

Leo sighed pulling away from Jed. The president watched as he seemed to struggle with something.

"What is it, Leo?"

Leo hesitated, then Jed's eyes widened in surprise as the man suddenly pressed his lips to Jed's.

Jed should have pushed him away, should have done something, but he couldn't. He didn't want to. When Leo finally pulled away, all the usually vocal president could say was "Oh."

"I should go," Leo muttered, pushing away from the couch, but Jed caught his hand.

"Stay."

Leo hesitated but ended up curling up next to him on the couch, and that's how Abbey found them hours later when she got back to the White House- fast asleep on the couch.

[a/n: this is the very first west wing story i ever wrote. that was a few months ago, and i'm pretty sure i was on season two? i barely knew the characters and had no place writing fanfic with them yet, but here it is.]