v

Abigail Bartlet was sitting behind her desk when her cell phone rang. Glancing down at the caller ID, she frowned. Her husband was calling her in the middle of the day- odd. Usually if he needed something to her, he'd just walk down to her office. Frowning, she answered the call.

"Jed?"

"Abbey!" Jed's voice was unusually bright, and Abbey couldn't help wondering what he was hiding. "How are you, love?"

"Jed, what's going on?"

"What makes you think anything's going on?" Jed answered cheerfully. "I just wanted to remind you that I love you. Oh, and don't forget to get the ingredients for Zoey's birthday cake."

"I love you too," Abbey replied skeptically. "And I thought you were getting those?"

"Oh, I don't think I'll have the time," he replied, a hint of sadness creeping into his voice. "I'm sorry. Could you do it please?"

Abbey frowned a little. "Just make sure you're back in time for the party."

"I will. I love you, Abbey. Don't forget that."

Abbey pressed the phone to her ear a little harder. "Jed. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I love you Abbey. I have to go."

She frowned. "I love you too. See you tonight."

It was halfway through baking her daughter's cake when Abigail Bartlet got the call telling her that her husband had died from a gun wound.

[a/n: this one was definitely prompted.  there's a prompt out there that basically says, 'person A calls person B and reminds them how much they love them and they're dying' except in better wording than that, and that's what this is]