ANIM

(Question #7/90: Saan nga ba ang dulo ng walang hangan?")

VI

"So, have you finally decided that you'll agree?" I turn the speakers on while answering his call.

I am currently getting ready to go to the Gym. To actually try and be fit. I know, the horror.

Not that I need it, of course. It's just one of the few things I'd like to try while I'm still alive. May nakapagsabi kasi sa akin na hahaba raw ang buhay mo kapag inaalagaan mo ang sarili mong kalusugan. Too late for me I guess.

"I have one condition, though." he breathed.

"Go ahead." I replied.

"Could you please tell me every truth behind your condition? If I agree, will you promise-"

"When you agree. Use when, Ali. You should know by now that I don't take no for an answer." I smiled kahit alam kong hindi niya ako nakikita.

He sighed, "If I agree, I want you to promise me to not lie about your condition."

I chuckled, "If I didn't know how good of an actor you are, I would have thought you actually cared for me. Tell me, Ali, are you sure you're not in love with me?"

"That's like suicide, Ezra. Do you really expect me to allow myself to fall in love with you? I'm not that stupid." I made a face. Yeah, right. "Now, will you promise me?"

"Is this a vow, just now?" I joked.

"Isang side comment mo pa, Ezra, ha. I'll hung up on you." seryoso niyang sabi. Or at least I think. I can never trust this guy. He's such a good pretender.

"Ok, Ali. I promise. Sasabihin ko sa 'yo kung malapit na akong mamatay." I laced my shoes.

"Whatever. Just, answer my call later, ok? Let's meet up. I want to ask you about this-" he struggled to find the right word, "proposal, again. Just to clear everything up."

I shook my head and smiled, "Yes, honey. I'll see you later."

"Are you sure you're dying?" tanong niya ulit.

"Are you sure you'll never fall for me?" I jokingly asked back.

He hung up. Probably too annoyed to even say goodbye.

Oh well.

###

It was harder than I thought.

Running the treadmill I mean. I haven't had a proper exercise for years. 

When I finally went out of the gym, it was almost sunset. I had to drag my butt to actually get out of the building. There he was, looking like a model. If I didn't know him any better, I would have thought he was a university professor with his eye glasses and curly hair. He was reading a book. I think.

Outside the gym was a cafe and beside it was a restaurant. I didn't know if I should be thankful for having them beside the gym. It felt like eating what you have spitted out.

I'm not sure if he really was reading, or if he's just acting like he was reading. But then, I can never be too sure with this guy. I shook my head.