seven ¡ the only exception

The Only Exception by Paramore

The cupcakes lay on the counter covered in a clear container meant for keeping them fresh. They remind him of Tyler. Soft and squishy, yet slightly intimidating. Pink frosting like the light blush Tyler would occasionally adorn on his cheeks. Black and white sprinkles just like his personality, playfully sarcastic yet a touch of anger. Usually Josh wouldn't care much for such details, he'd take what he wanted and throw away the rest. A long history of heartbreaking taints his record, or perhaps strengthens it depending on how you view it. Brendon was a rough one to crack, even with his quite impressive record. All he was able to get out of him was instructional help. Josh had to cook and bake everything himself, of course Brendon teaching him how. Never has he put so much work into something, a detail he's easily overlooked without realizing. These little details Brendon keeps note of, Brendon has always been one to take note of every small detail. Things like that make them opposite in many ways, yet still their similarities block out the many differences. A knock on the door brings Josh from his thoughts as he's quick to go open it. The sight he's met with almost steals his needed breath. A small smile rests on Tyler's lips, a simple light grey button up with black jeans and a worn black jacket contrasts his usual outfits. Josh himself wears dark blue jeans with a black button up.

"I had to sneak out for this, let's make it good," Tyler jokes lightly, a soft gaze looking him over.

"Oh it's gonna be good," Josh winks as he slips on his jacket and gently puts the backpack over his shoulder.

The pair intertwine their fingers and head for the parked car. Taking their respected sides Tyler starts the car up. Once pulled out of the driveway he's given directions on where to go. Josh can tell the boy next to him is confused by the directions. Tyler is soon parking the car on the side of a dirt road. Making sure the backpack is secured the bright haired boy leads Tyler into the night. It's almost a field of sorts, trees scattered around but still sparse. Admiring the area Tyler sits down next to him, legs crossed. Bringing out the food Josh himself made he sets up a small buffet of sorts. Comfortable silence falls over the pair as food is shared and soft glances are exchanged. Peaceful is the only word to describe the moment, bliss maybe. The feeling seems so new, so foreign to Josh. Never has he really even thought of settling down for a night and sharing moments like this. That makes two moments already, all from Tyler and his snarky smiles. Something about the boy tires his usual feeling of superiority and pure confidence. Someone has challenged his confidence, challenged him. Of course he would be lying if he claimed he didn't like it.

"You're great," Josh mumbles as he admires the boy beside him.

"What about me is great?" Tyler asks as he takes a bite of his cupcake.

"Everything," Josh answers without putting much thought into it.

"What makes everything about me so great?" Tyler asks, clearly pushing for a more specific answer.

Josh takes a moment to think about it, "Your aggressive yet sweet personality is refreshing. Your smile is so bright and beautiful when it's genuine. The fact it's so hard to make you fully smile and laugh sometimes just makes me feel so accomplished."

"Thank you. I love how understanding you are. You don't mind my aggression, you just let me take the lead," Tyler smiles at him, a big genuine one.

"Now lets stop being so sappy," Josh laughs, Tyler quickly joining in.

"Lets stargaze then go back to my place and make out," Tyler says in a softer tone then he usually uses as he lays down in the grass.

"That's fucking gay," Josh replies, dragging out the 'ay' as he moves over to lay right beside him.

"Yes Joshua, you resting your head on my chest is indeed pretty fucking gay," Tyler says in a normal tone, although it's clearly meant as a joke.

Josh simply chuckles to himself as he tugs on Tyler's arm. Getting the hint Tyler wraps his arm around Josh so he can get a better position. With his head rested on Tyler's chest they stare up at the dark sky. Although Tyler's eyes are scanning the sky Josh finds himself watching him instead. He remembers the first time they did this, maybe deep down that's why Josh took him here. Tyler seems to love the night sky, the look on his face gives it away. Josh doesn't understand what's so special about stars, they're just bright dots in the sky. There could be something more to it, he wouldn't mind learning what. For Tyler of course, there's no other reason for him to take interest in such a dumb thing. It's not so bad, getting close to someone isn't so hard. Still he's not completely sure how he feels about this. Being so close and gentle to someone is quite comfortable he would admit, if he didn't have an image to keep up. Tyler is the only acceptation. No one else is allowed to see this side of him. Someone else finding out he has a soft side would ruin his reputation. He's putting those thoughts aside tonight, it's just him and Tyler. Him and his very close friend. Part of Josh still can't mange to call them that word. It's just an experiment after all, right? Just look at how even Tyler is taking things, a bit jokingly since this isn't serious. It's simply two boys having a good time, things just happen to be a tiny bit not straight. Nobody needs to know that last part after all, that's between them. They don't have to tell people anything, and Josh won't tell anyone anything. Well, there's always an exception. In this case that exception is Brendon, and Josh will make sure he doesn't tell a soul about what he knows.

[i didn't edit this so
point out my stupid
mistakes, yeet]