four ¡ wild

WILD by Troye Sivan

The lights are dim, afternoon sun mostly brightening the room. Tyler's room is quite simple. A large queen sized bed with monotone blankets lays in the far corner of the room, a presumably large closet next to it. In the opposite corner there's a couch, a large tv in front of it with a DVD player and a gaming console. Against a wall is a keyboard with a small shelf of notebooks and songbooks next to it. Any idea of what the many notebooks hold is unknown to Josh. He doubts Tyler would allow him to read or even touch them, he's come across as a secretive person. Of course, this just makes Josh even more interested as he's grown to learn secretive people are always the most exciting. The walls themselves are decorated well, photos and art hung about in a disorderly fashion. Loose polaroids, larger printed pictures, and homemade drawings along with colorful words to be specific. A few might be from a younger sibling, or perhaps a young Tyler. Either way the room gives off a soft warmth, a calming feeling. Very opposite of Josh's room and his own aesthetic, yet still somehow just as pleasant.

"So Joshua, do you like stargazing?" Tyler's question startles Josh slightly as he wasn't expecting him to speak.

"Not really, never thought about it that much. Usually I go to parties and shit at night," Josh shrugs, turning his attention to Tyler once again.

"Well I like to look at the stars every night. You can join me or I could take you back," Tyler says simply, a small sparkle of mischief in his eyes.

"Oh," Josh hesitates a moment to think over his options, "Sure, I'll join you. Why not."

The rest of the day passes in a blur of colors. Most time filled with Josh taking about nonsense and Tyler only half listening while his eyes are on his opened notebook. As for dinner the pair simply picked up some Taco Bell. At first Tyler was confused Josh requested cheap fast food when Tyler is, well, rich. After eating though Tyler was thankful as all hell. Something about the greasy food was appealing and tasted pretty damn good. In honesty Tyler has a plan forming in his mind. Nothing big, just a little fun in his mundane life. The hum of the engine relaxes him as they drive to somewhere Josh is unsure of. When the car is parked Josh is a little perplexed. In front of them lay a gleaming lake, reflecting the burning stars. Easily Tyler grabs something from the backseat before getting out. With nothing else to do Josh follows his lead and climbs onto the car roof after him. Legs drawn up to almost his chest Tyler stares up at the sky for a brief moment. Josh sits next to him, letting Tyler drape a blanket around them.

"Usually it's only me, so I forgot about another blanket," Tyler half-heartedly apologizes to the other is a soft voice.

His soft tone and almost pleading eyes makes Josh forgive him without further question. For some odd reason something so easy as arguing falters greatly. Instead Josh just nods and his eyes linger on Tyler for a little longer then needed. Not minding one bit Tyler looks at the lake, a sparkle in his eye, or maybe just the stars' reflection. Which one doesn't matter at the moment as Josh is struggling. Unsure of why he can't take his eyes off the boy curled up beside him. His hands griping the blanket tightly and the way he just stares in a fascinating way makes him look almost childish. That childhood wonder still lingers inside him, something Josh lost long ago yet never knew he somewhat missed. Finally Josh forced himself to look away, gazing up at the blanket of sky dotted in stars. There's something humbling about it all. Josh can't put his finger on what yet the feeling is welcomed. Almost as welcomed as Tyler's head resting on his shoulder softly. His messy curls tickle Josh's neck slightly, not enough to bother him one bit. Just enough to let him enjoy the soft comfort it brings. Such drastic changes have always frazzled and annoyed Josh. This is much different, a nice change. Something so drastic but so soft and warm on his busy mind. He could get used to things like this, specifically the comforting noises of the quiet lake and the wildlife it brings.

A yawn slips past Tyler's lips, "Are you getting tired? 'M gettin sleepy."

"Yeah," Josh replies, all the calm bringing his mind to a steady but sure slow.

Tyler uncurls himself and slides off the roof, Josh doing the same and taking the blanket with him. "I can drive. I have my license just not a car," Josh offers before they get into the car. Tyler starts walking to the other side of the car, "That would be great," he nods. After switching sides and the blanket returned to the backseat the car comes to life once again. Struggling to keep eyelids from falling Tyler gives him directions. Once the car comes to a stop for the last time tonight the boys exit. Already feeling more welcomed at the large home Josh sets Tyler's keys on his shelf in a small bowl made for just that. Tyler opens his closet and walks into it, it's larger then Josh expected. He returns in some sweatpants and a bare chest. Josh's eyes linger a little longer then needed once more. Josh takes some sweatpants and a t-shirt from his backpack. He throws the shirt at Tyler, making a snarky remark about his bare chest as a joke. He enters the closet next to change himself. It's indeed a lot larger then expected, large for maybe even a walk in closet. Josh has never really seen a walk in closet to compare it to though. When he reappears into the room and tosses his clothes onto his backpack he notices Tyler.

"I was joking about the shirt thing," Josh says in surprise as he sees Tyler in his shirt sitting on the bed.

"Too bad, mine now," Tyler yawns as he pulls up the covers to get under them.

"Where should I sleep?" Josh asks, earning a tired pause from the other.

"Just sleep on my bed with me, turn off the lights first though," Tyler answers as he gets comfortable.

"Okay," Josh mumbles as he does so before getting under the covers on the other side of the bed.

Part of Tyler wants to get much closer to Josh. Part of Josh wouldn't mind that.