xiii. wedding jitters

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:WEDDING JITTERS

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
WEDDING JITTERS

■ ■ ■ ■

A MONTH PASSED IN the blink of an eye. During that time, two of their own had gotten engaged. Edward wanted to be married to his mate before she was turned into a vampire, seeing the act of marriage as a declaration of love. Bella was a little more hesitant, but after some persistence on the former's end, she said yes. It made him happy, and that was all that mattered to her. Alice had predicted their engagement before it even happened, and immediately began to get things in order. By the time the two of them told their family the news, she had a folder overflowing with information to show them. Edward passed his sister onto his fiance, much to the human girl's displeasure, and ever since then, they'd been working to make the day one to remember. Bella had insisted on keeping it small, friends and family only, but whether or not Alice stuck to that order was entirely up to fate.

Verona had spent most of that time with the rest of her family. She and her mate hadn't spoken since their interaction before the newborn battle, despite the countless amount of letters he'd sent to her. Whenever she saw one of the infamous envelopes with the rest of their mail, she'd throw it in her desk drawer and push it out of her mind. She would open them when she was ready. No one, not even the love of her life, could rush that.

Soon enough, the wedding was arriving, giving her a distraction from the thoughts always running through her head. Alice had sensed her best friend's dilemma, and she'd given her as many jobs as she could without seeming suspicious to everyone else, who'd probably believe she was punishing her for something. Verona accepted the work without complaint, and in just one month, they managed to bring everything together without any real issues.

On the day before the wedding, everyone was out in the yard, setting up for the big day. Bella was given the task of watching them work, unable to do anything with her clumsy, fragile human body always getting in the way. Alice chatted to her about their routine for the next morning, her eyes glimmering with excitement. Meanwhile, the others were forced to get everything else together, their sister sometimes barking orders at them when she noticed they were doing something wrong. Verona was hauling a heavy wooden log across the yard during one of those times.

"Where do you want them, boss?" Emmett asked, another log slung over his shoulder.

"On either side of the aisle," she chirped.

"What aisle?" Rosalie frowned as she followed her mate into the yard.

"Does no one have vision?" Alice cried.

Verona chuckled as Alice stormed across the yard, letting out a groan of frustration as she began to explain to their siblings where they were going wrong, the two simply staring back at her in annoyance, though allowing her to show them where to put things all the same. Alice was in charge, whether they liked it or not. It was just how things worked in their family. Bella smiled at Verona as she stepped up beside her, leaning against the railing that ran around the porch.