xiv. here comes the bride

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:HERE COMES THE BRIDE

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
HERE COMES THE BRIDE

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THE WEDDING WAS A mere two hours away. Night had blended into day, and soon, everything was erupting into chaos. Alice was in a right state of panic, rushing around the house to make sure everyone was doing what they were meant to be doing. Whether that be helping the groom stay calm or assisting the bride with her hair and makeup, or making sure everything was set up for the ceremony and reception, despite having run through it several times the night before. Verona had been placed on bridal duties - hair and nails, to be more specific - and she was on her way to where the bride was residing when she bumped into her frantic best friend, whose golden eyes were wide and out of focus.

"Alice," Verona frowned, gripping onto her shoulders and snapping her out of her trance. "What's wrong?"

Alice didn't say anything for a moment, instants from the future flashing in the depths of her mind. Verona was the centre of those flashes, a smile curving her lips as she accepted the embrace of a brown-haired boy, whose crimson eyes glimmered with adoration as he held her close. Verona in the future looked content, like she had everything she could ever want and more. Verona in the present looked sad, like someone had reached into her chest, ripped out her heart, and torn it to pieces right in front of her. Alice's stomach twisted, and before she could second-guess her decision, she stepped forward and enveloped her sister in a hug.

"Alice, seriously," Verona muttered, grabbing the sides of her sister's face and forcing their eyes to meet. "What's going on?"

"Nothing." Alice didn't know how Verona would react if she knew the truth. She didn't want to risk changing a future that made her best friend so happy. So she stayed silent, vowing to tell her what she'd seen once the wedding was over. "Bella needs help getting ready. I was just coming to find you." 

Verona didn't believe her for a second. She'd always been able to tell when Alice was lying. But she wouldn't push, not on such an important day for them. So she followed her down the corridor, a mortal's heartbeat greeting her as she entered through the final door on the right.

"I found her," Alice beamed, ushering Verona inside and pushing the door shut behind them.

Bella looked up from where she sat by a mirror, a light grey robe wrapped around her skinny frame, her hair tangling around her face in knotted curls. Dark purple circles rimmed her eyes, and paired with her pale and clammy sick, she looked sick. Verona winced, making her way over to the girl, running a hand through her limp hair as she stepped up behind her.

"My god," she sighed, before moving to sit at her side. "Did you even sleep last night?"

"Bad dream," Bella muttered.

Alice tutted in disapproval as she stepped behind her, beginning to work her magic. Verona began to paint her nails after deciding on a royal blue colour. But first, she held the bottle up for her sister to approve. Alice beamed at her choice, before continuing to cover the bride's face in foundation.