6

I packed a bag full of my stuff onto our ship. "Keith are you ready," I yelled. He ran over with another bag in hand. "So much stuff."

"Well, it's not my fault. You decided on the roommates thing." I sigh.

"And I still want to do it. I'm just saying that all this is a little excessive. I could've just let you borrow some of my clothes. They'd probably fit as a second skin. They won't cling to your bones like your actual skin, but a least it'll be cozy." He stares blankly at me as I take his next bag and stuff it in the back. "Get in."

He crosses his arms. "I'll think about it." I groan.

"Come on. My parents are probably worried out of their minds." He smirks, walks up to me, and sits his face next to mine.

"Make me," he whispers in my ear. I smirk in turn. In a sudden movement I lift him into the air. He's laughing and yelling at me to put him down, but he's not fighting back.

"You said make you. Unless you wanna finally walk yourself." I put him down and he straightens his shirt. "There you go," I say patting him on the back. "Now, let's go." This time he obliges. We get in the ship and a wormhole appears. "Ready?" He nods. I shoot the ship into the wormhole.

When it exits we're back on Earth over the Garrison. We land on the launch pad where we are greeted by a few familiar faces. "Lance!" Pidge drops everything she's doing just to come over and hug me. I hug her back, but there's a sense of awkwardness to it. I just didn't feel right. I break from the hug.

"How are you, Pidgeon?" She smiles.

"I'm doing fine. The real question is how are you doing?" I sigh.

"A little better I guess. It all thanks to Keith." I bring him into a chokehold and ruffle his hair playfully. He struggles to break free from my grip.

"That's nice to hear," Pudge chuckles. "Why is Keith here though? Isn't he supposed to be with the Blade?"

"Actually I came up with a great idea to watch over our lover-boy." She eyes him suspiciously. "We're gonna become roommates." She gives me a look and I just shrug and point at him.

"That's- an interesting idea," she says reluctantly. Keith frowns.

"I think it's a great idea," he pouts. "Now if you'll excuse us we have to get my stuff. Come on Lance." He grabs my hand and pulls me back to the ships to unload it and put it in a car. On the car ride back I look at the unusual scenery. Maybe I didn't notice it before because of my depressing mood. The trees, animals, and people along the roads. The interactions. The life.

How aliens talked to humans and vice versa. I was astounded that I didn't notice it all before. I look over at Keith. His hair blows in the wind coming through his open window. My smile widens. It's weird. I hate how it's an all too common mantra that rings so true to those who have almost lost it all. You never know what you have until it's gone. Or almost in my case.

I turn my attention back to the road. The sun's bright rays illuminate the road ahead of us. City turns into country. Expanses of grass meet trees and herds of animals. An occasional farmer would wave as we pass by. "Welcome to my humble abode." I pointed up towards the on coming hill that receded, revealing my family's farmhouse in all it's glory. Cows happily munched on grass across the field. Sheep were being herded by my brother while the kids played in the fields. Veronica noticed the car and started waving as we drove in.

I'm finally home. We parked in the dirt "driveway" leading up to the humble abode. Getting out of the car I'm immediately met with a suffocating hug from the rest of the family coming in to greet me. "Losing air quick," I choke out as they continue to crush me.