Chapter 9 💃🏼

Elise Layton 👠

Somehow Blake and I go from brainstorming ideas to boost Ben's popularity, to watching videos of people having tooth extractions. The reaction of some of them after having anaesthesia are hilarious.

We're laughing so hard at some guy telling the nurse his boobs are missing that we don't hear Blake's Mum Diane come in. We're both laying on our stomachs on Blake's bed with his iPad between us.

"Alright you two, the door needs to stay open. I'm not ready to be a Grandma yet." She tells us, sternly.

"Mom! We're watching videos, that's it!" Blake exclaims.

"That's what they all say." She says and winks at me. I'm about ready to die of embarrassment.

"I was just going to ask if you want me to make some sandwiches for lunch?" She questions and tilts her head to wait for a reply.

"Yeah that sounds good Mom." Blake says and I smile at Diane.

She makes a point of putting a doorstop by the door before leaving and I laugh silently, my shoulders shaking.

"Now you see why I'm still a virgin." He tells me and I shake with laughter even more.

I try to compose myself, wiping my watery eyes and I see Blake staring at me from my side. I look at him and it feels like he's seeing through to my soul. I feel completely exposed and it makes me nervous.

"I was joking, that's not really why I still haven't been with a girl like that." He tells me, studying my face.

"Why haven't you?" I ask and it comes out as a whisper.

"I've been waiting for the right one." He's so serious and licks his bottom lip lightly.

He leans in and hesitates slightly before pressing his lips to mine. Our lips move in unison and I feel his fingers move to the back of my head. He strokes the back of my neck and I get lost in him. There is so much passion behind this kiss that it scares me. It really scares me.

I pull away and I'm sure he must be able to see the fear on my face.

"I need to go." I tell him, quietly.

He turns away from me and shakes his head. I know he's disappointed and probably frustrated with me.

I leave through the open doorway, walk down the stairs and manage to tell Diane that I need to go home. She seems surprised, but tells me to come again soon. I thank her for letting me come over and make my way to the front door. I take one last look up the staircase and see Blake watching me sadly from the top step. I open the door and leave.

I don't know what's wrong with me.

No, I do.

Dan really fu*ked me up for other guys. I no longer trust them, or myself. I'm terrified of having my heart broken again.

Tears begin to fall as I make my way back to my Uncles house and I don't want to walk in there like this. I continue walking and try to compose myself.

I pass a children's playground and continue until I reach a small public garden with benches. There are beautiful pink tulips, white rose bushes, neatly trimmed hedges and a bronze sun dial sitting in the centre.

I take a seat on one of the benches and inhale, taking in the aroma from the flowers. It's beautiful here.

I take my phone out and send a message to Daisy.

Elise
Hey D,
How's life treating you on this beautiful Sunday? x

Daisy
I'm stuck at home studying. My Mom's saying I'm not putting in enough work 😣 x