Chapter 3 💃🏼

Elise Layton 👠

After getting lost in the school corridors for a good ten minutes, I finally manage to find a set of double doors leading to the schools cafeteria. I see Ben sitting with another guy at a table tucked away in the corner and make my way over.

"Hey Ben, who's your friend?" I ask, taking a seat and searching through my bag for a water bottle.

"Hey Elise. This is Ethan, he's a senior too." I smile and give him a small wave, "Hi Ethan, it's nice to meet you."

"Hi, it's nice to meet you too. Would you not prefer to be sitting with the populars?" He asks, pointing to a loud table in the centre of the room.

I look over briefly and see Blake getting another guy in a headlock. He seems to be attempting to shove his head in a tray of what looks like pasta, with a lot of sauce over it. I look at the group of girls sitting there, flipping mirrors open to check their make up, playing with each other's hair and looking uninterested in the boys' behaviour.

I look back to Ethan and my face must tell a story because he starts to laugh.

"Yeah, to be honest, I don't blame you for not wanting to sit there." He tells me, once his chuckling subsides.

"They're just not really my type of people, you know?" Ethan nods and smiles.

I take out a sandwich that my Aunt Donna packed for me this morning and begin to eat. I'm almost done when there's a loud bang behind me and a few girls scream. I turn to see that Kai has slammed a guy down on one of the tables and has his arm pressed down against his throat. The boy looks like he's struggling to breathe and I pray that someone will intervene. I prepare to go over myself, when another guy pulls Kai away. The one being choked finally catches his breath and sits up, resting on his elbows.

"Kai, man I'm sorry. I didn't know she was your girl!" He calls out and there are audible 'ohhhh's' from around the cafeteria.

Everyone just loves a bit of drama, even attempted murder, huh?

I frown deeply at what he said and I can't help feeling a tinge of hurt. Kai tried to come on to me outside class earlier and he has a girlfriend. Does he really have any right to be pis*ed at this guy for messing with her, when he was trying to mess with me this morning?

I pick up my rubbish from the table, say bye to Ben and Ethan and head towards the exit. I feel deflated and it's not like me to let people have such an affect on my mood.

I go outside into a grassy area and notice Daisy sitting by herself resting her back against a tree.

"Do you mind if I sit with you?" I ask and she tilts her head back, allowing her curtain of hair to fall away from her face.

"I don't mean to sound rude, but why are you being nice to me?" She questions, cautiously.

"Did someone dare you?" She looks back down and I frown, shaking my head.

"No, no honestly, no one dared me. You looked kind of lonely. I don't know many people here and I thought you might need a friend just like me. That's all, I swear." I put my hands up in honesty, she smiles and pats the spot beside her.

"So you just missed a fight in the cafeteria." I tell her, taking a seat.

"Who was fighting?" Daisy asks, closing a book she'd been reading.

"It was Kai Pierce and some tall skinny guy with dark hair. He messed around with Kai's girlfriend or something."

"Well that's strange. I watch everyone and I've never seen him with a girl before." I frown in confusion and think back to the way he was with me this morning.