5: Quidditch

Our next lesson was DADA. The night before it had been a full moon so Remus wouldn't be teaching. I wished it hadn't been, then I could have found comfort from him when I had my nightmare. I would be able to speak to him after class though, in his private quarters. He wasn't as bad as he usually was, Snape made him Wolfsbane Potion every month. The potion allowed him to keep his own mind, so rather than being covered in scratches every month, he was only ill and weak the day after.

We all stepped into the class and found Snape sitting at Remus' desk.

'Oh no,' I whispered to Nico. It could have been anyone but him, legit any other teacher in the school. Why did it have to be him?

We sat down in our usual places and waited for him to start. Harry then burst in the door and Snape took points from Gryffindor for him being late.

'Take out your books and turn to page three hundred and ninety-four,' he said and I quickly turned to that page. It was much further on than we had been previously so I was slightly confused as to what he was teaching us.

It was about werewolves!

I stared at Snape with pure loathing and he gave me a small, knowing smile. So much for the pep talk last period. He was trying his hardest to get someone to guess what Remus was, and I could easily guess why. Perhaps to do with the fact Remus got the job he wanted, or a childhood grudge because James Potter and my dad used to bully him. Either one was not a good enough reason to try and ruin a man's life.

'Problem, Black?' he asked, knowing that I couldn't say anything without giving Remus' secret away.

'No, sir,' I said and looked down, biting my tongue to stop my outburst.

'Werewolves?' Ron suddenly said, frowning at his book.

'But, sir, we've only just begun learning about Red Caps and Hinkypunks. We're not meant to start nocturnal beasts for weeks --' Hermione had appeared from nowhere and was staring at Snape, a frown plastered on her face.

'Quiet,' said Snape, tapping on a projector. Different pictures of werewolves popped up on the screen and each time the picture changed, I got angrier and angrier, 'Now. Which of you can tell me the difference between an Animagus and a werewolf?'

I was too busy staring at the image of an attacking werewolf, guilt for Remus rising in my chest. Hermione shoved her hand up, she was the only one wanting to give an answer. Snape was blatantly ignoring her, we all knew he was aware she could answer.

'No one? How... disappointing,' he said after a second. Everyone glanced at Hermione as Snape continued to ignore her, and she foolishly took matters into her own hands.

'Please, sir, an Animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal. A werewolf has no choice in the matter. Furthermore, the werewolf actively hunts humans and responds only to the call of its own kind --' Hermione was interrupted by the sound of Draco Malfoy howling loudly.

'Thank you, Mr Malfoy. That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger. Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself? Or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?' the whole class glared at Snape, and I could tell Hermione was deeply hurt. I gave her a concerned look, she was on the brink of tears, 'Five points from Gryffindor.'

'You asked us a question and she knows the answer! Why ask if you don't want to be told?' Ron said loudly. The class held its breath, surprised at his outburst. We all immediately knew he had taken it too far as Snape advanced on him slowly, deliberately.

'Detention, Weasley,' Snape said silkily, his face very close to Ron's. 'And if I ever hear you criticise the way I teach a class again, you will be very sorry indeed.'