xxvi. Live and Let Live

Începe de la început

Their eyes locked for a brief moment and then Nayeon dashed over to Jeongyeon and collapsed in her arms. The couple shared a sprightly kiss. Nayeon's hands pressed Jeongyeon's cheeks together. On the side with her girlfriend, Momo rolled her eyes, playfully smirking at the two. Dahyun cheekily smiled at them.

"Get a fucking room, love birds," Momo gelled with her hands cupped together, a small echo resonated around them. It wasn't loud enough for the people in the front to hear them.

The two finally broke away from their embrace and laughed at each other and then at Momo. Jeongyeon placed her hand on Nayeon's side, hugging her. Nayeon was starting to be more affectionate towards Jeongyeon a week after the surgery. They even went out more often and tried new things that Nayeon secretly wanted to do but knew she couldn't when she was blind.

"Alright, places people, places. I need everyone to be in a straight line. Okay? Last names. Alphabetical order. From Abraham to Yamasaki."

Teens started making sure that they were in the right spot, checking if the person in front and back of them should be there.

In the midst of switching around, Nayeon was randomly looking at other people, their eye contact not lasting for long. All of a sudden, her eyes locked with Tzuyu's. The blood from Nayeon's face felt like it was drained. They stood at a safe distance, shooting each other dagger-like stares in a fiery showdown. Nayeon tried to act tough but internally, she was pretty shaken up. Tzuyu had lost interest in their silent staring contest and rolled her eyes, turning away in the other direction. Nayeon sighed, feeling like the knife had been pulled out of her stomach. She felt like Tzuyu could just reach out and gouge both her eyes out.

Once they stopped wiggling around like a pack of chickens, the ceremony-coordinator nodded at her work and then headed gave the thumbs up to the principal.

"Ladies and gents, I welcome you the class of 2019!"

One by one, teenagers trotted out from behind the stage. They all wore an emerald green cap and gown, golden tassel to the right side. They turned the tassel to the left when graduates receive their diplomas.

Some men wore dark trousers and dress shirts and ties under their graduation gowns.
Some of the girls had on lightweight dresses or blouses and skirts that didn't hang below their graduation gowns. Some even wore a detachable white collar that added a more finished, decorative touch. Flowers and jewelry usually weren't on the academic gown but the girls wanted to look more stylish. There were kids who had specific regalia like stoles and honor cords in keeping with the traditions of the school.

The audience that sat behind the rows of empty chairs and clapped loudly whilst they took their seats in the same arrangement.

Sadly, because they were arranged by last name, Nayeon and Jeongyeon were seated quite far. However, Momo was always before Nayeon in roll call so evidently, Momo was next to Nayeon. The pair of best friends made small talk while the principal did the opening remarks.

"How are you feeling, Nabongs?" Momo started.

Nayeon shifted her head to the right, glancing at Momo to her left. "Hmm..Really excited to get the hell out of here already. I'm tired just by doing my make up this morning."

Momo chuckled at this. Then, she turned to check Nayeon's face, examining the work she did. Impressed, she pulled a face and nodded.