chapter twenty

THE STARS IN the sky were infinite that night.

Cordelia liked to spend her free nights lazing on beaches and counting stars but they never seemed to shine as brightly as it did tonight. It was as though the dark clouds that loomed over her sky had suddenly parted.

And she knew exactly why.

"How did you meet him?" She croaked, hands shaking as it curled around a hot cup of tea that Zale had passed to her. Gently, she took a sip, savoring the aroma that she had not had for years. It was bittersweet.

They were seated on the roof of the small house, nothing but an endless blanket of stars above their heads. The storm clouds from earlier in the day had long past, leaving not even a speck of despair in the air. If she breathed hard enough, Cordelia could smell the ocean breeze that tainted the heavens. For once, it sickened her.

"My father was friends with him." With his thumb gently tracing the carvings of the medallion, Zale chuckled once rather emotionlessly. "I was engaged to his daughter."

The mouthful of hot tea that Cordelia had just sipped on was spat out of her mouth, her eyes bulging out of their sockets as she hacked away. Out of breath and in complete disbelief, Cordelia spun around, placing two hands on each of Zale's shoulders. Her fingernails dug at his skin, not enough to draw blood but enough to make Zale wince.

"What did you say?"

"That was the last thing I heard about him before the sailing incident. After that, the engagement was called off since the bride-to-be was dead. I've taken care of Mr. Langford ever since."

Running a hand through his hair, Zale's eyes fluttered over to Cordelia, dark humor tainting his beautiful irises.

"I just didn't expect his daughter to still be alive. Or as alive as someone that is dead can be."

————

social media:

instagram: twelvewonderingstars (personal: aurorayeo)

twitter: aurorayeo (personal: aurorayyq)

facebook: twelvewonderingstars