Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"For some inexplicable reason, Akula dumped a bag of diamonds at the zoo.  Either this is a failed exchange of diamonds, or more likely, an intentional stunt to derail our investigation. Obviously I believe the latter. Detective Cohen is spinning his wheels trying to make sense of the whole thing and blaming me for the fiasco."

-From DIG: The Official Prequel, Inspired by USA Network’s Television Event Series

---------------------------

To: PeterConnelly@USconsulate.com

From: GolanCohen@JPD.com

Subject: Akula Diamonds

Date: August 22, 2014 

Explain to me again how you failed to tell the local police about the connection between the transfer of the embezzled money and the uncut diamonds. We need to be on the same page or else when diamonds are scattered all over the fucking zoo, the police look inept and I’m left holding the bag. Moving forward, is there anything else that you’re not telling me?

---------------------------

PETER CONNELLY: FIELD NOTES - AKULA FILES

August 22, 2014 – 4:00pm Israeli time (9:00am EST)

For some inexplicable reason, Akula dumped a bag of diamonds at the zoo.  Either this is a failed exchange of diamonds, or more likely, an intentional stunt to derail our investigation. Obviously I believe the latter. Detective Cohen is spinning his wheels trying to make sense of the whole thing and blaming me for the fiasco.

Meanwhile I’m having Liat search all databases for Dasha Petrova, the travel agent who bought the diamonds, and any possible links to either Orit Peleg or Jonathan Frank. Until I get a concrete lead, I will not be sharing this information with local police. I don’t trust that there aren’t leaks within the police department so it’s best for me to keep all my discoveries close to the vest.

Lynn has informed me that Ambassador Ruth Ridell has been apprised of the arrest of Nikolai Yusim. To quote Lynn, the ambassador is “pleased at the mutual cooperation between countries.” God knows what Lynn is telling her.

---------------------------

POLICE REPORT

Detective Golan Cohen, Jerusalem Police

August 23, 2014

The interrogation of Nikolai Yusim has yielded some interesting intel. Yusim has a long rap sheet, including convictions for attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon. He’s spent his life in and out of prisons throughout Eastern Europe and Israel. Before he lawyered up with the Russian mob’s favorite lawyer, Jerome A. Kulikov, he told me he was at the hammam to get a schvitz (yeah right). According to Detective Versluis, who has been working to penetrate the Russian mafia that has infiltrated Israel, Yusim has been seen many times entering and exiting Odessa, a local Russian grocery store known for its mob fraternization.

During his interrogation, Mr. Yusim‘s belongings were placed and sealed into evidence as per police procedure. Nothing unusual—wallet, keychain, dirty handkerchief. However, for some unknown reason, Mr. Yusim’s keychain was apparently misplaced during his interrogation. Attorney Kulikov made a fuss when Mr. Yusim was officially released and asked for his personal belongings. This detective has no idea how an officer might have misplaced an object belonging to a suspect, but stranger things have happened. Needless to say, Mr. Yusim and his attorney created quite a scene when they learned that the keychain could not be located. It is unclear why a man wearing a gold Cartier watch would care about what seems to be a worthless trinket since, according to the lost items form he filled out, Mr. Yusim states he bought it from one of the stalls in the Old City market. Mr. Yusim kept referring to it as having “sentimental value.” This detective has offered to reimburse him, however Mr. Yusim’s attorney responded by using the words “sue” and “negligence.”

Obviously the whole zoo/diamond incident is indicative of the FBI’s incompetence. If I could blame the missing keychain on Connelly too, I would.

---------------------------

DRAFT OF UNSENT EMAIL

From: PeterConnelly@USconsulate.com

To: Jconnelly@gmail.com

Subject: Hi

Date: August 25, 2014

I was thinking about our garden and wondering if we got tomatoes this year. I read something about the tomato worm blight in the mid-Atlantic area…what was that homemade cure that you once used with vinegar? I wish you would talk to me.

---------------------------

PETER CONNELLY: FIELD NOTES - AKULA FILES

August 26, 2014 – 11:00am Israeli time (4:00am EST)

Got to work late. Through Liat’s friend at Shin Bet, we were able to find a positive facial recognition of Dasha Petrova traveling through Ben Gurion Airport three times in the past month en route to China. An exhaustive search of each alias she has used in the past has yielded no results. If she is simply a courier then perhaps she will be more willing to talk to the authorities.

LATER – 9pm

Another unsatisfying Mediterranean takeaway dinner at the office. After careful review of all the available airport security footage, Liat and I noticed that when Dasha cleared airport security that she was taken aside on several occasions because there was a small black device attached to her midsection. (What’s fascinating is the inconsistency of the airport security since sometimes she was stopped and sometimes she sailed right through.) After enhancing the images, we have determined that the black device on her person resembles a wireless insulin pump. Perhaps this is the break we’ve been waiting for to track her down. Makes the shitty dinner in the windowless office worthwhile.

---------------------------

INTERPOL RED NOTICE

August 27, 2014

International fugitive Yussef Khalid has been spotted in Aleppo, Syria. INTERPOL asks its member countries in the region to be on high alert for any and all movements of said suspect.

---------------------------

FBI MEMORANDUM

From: Deputy Director Hefner

To: Lynn Monahan

CC: Ambassador Ruth Ridell

Subject: Yussef Khalid

Date: August 28, 2014

Washington is concerned about the motivations of Yussef Khalid who has been spotted in Syria. It is unclear whether his recent movements to the war-torn area, which has been linked to ISIS and other terrorist organizations, demonstrates a participation in a more clandestine organization. Please advise of any and all information that you receive on your end.

---------------------------

Thanks for reading! Why do you think Nikolai Yusim made a big deal about the police having misplaced his keychain?