Chapter 17 - Zoe

[A/N TW: knives and discussion of fighting]

Zoe tore along the town streets, trying not to get into any accidents. There were cars abandoned on the sides of the road, and there were monsters prowling in the shadows.

At one point something had leapt towards the car while they slowed a little to turn a corner. In the rearview mirror, Zoe saw Connor snap his head up. The creature froze midair, turning to stone.

"Was that a Tanuki?" She asked as she hit the gas again, feeling horrified and just a little bit impressed. "I've only read about those!"

"We need to get home." Connor shook his head. "I'm seeing things that haven't found the light of day in years."

Evan grunted in agreement and Zoe nodded, gripping the steering wheel harder and pressing the gas pedal to the floor.

She whipped the little car around a corner and into the suburb that they lived in. It was crawling with monsters and her stomach twisted.

"I hope the non-magically equipped people are okay." Connor said quietly.

"Most of the people in our neighborhood are smart enough to stay inside when they see strange creatures outside." Zoe chewed her lip, wrenching the wheel to avoid a snarling hellhound... or maybe it was just the old lady down the street's dog. He had always been kind of mean.

"Stupid Newfoundland..." Connor muttered.

Zoe shook her head, then realized that they were about to fly right past her house.

"Sorry!" She shouted in warning before slamming on the brakes.

Both boys yelled and threw their hands up to protect their heads. The tires of the car screeched, painfully loud on the pavement.

"Is everyone okay?" Zoe asked as she shifted the car into park.

"Oooooow." Connor groaned. When she glanced in the rearview she saw an ugly knot slowly forming on his head.

"What on earth did you even hit your head on- oh the back."

Zoe's car wasn't... new. There was a piece of the driver's seat that was no longer covered by the fabric and stuffing.

Connor rubbed his forehead, grimacing. "That's going to leave a mark-"

Something slammed into the back of the car. Zoe whipped her head around to see a large golem clawing at the trunk.

"Listen, we make a run for it, then I'll look at your head. There's a monster by the front door, go around to the back." She said quickly, poising her hand over the handle of her door. "Stick together, don't let anyone get left behind. Ready?"

Evan and Connor nodded, each reaching for their own doors. Another creature slammed against the side of the car but Zoe didn't bother to look at what it was.

"Three. Two. One. GO!" She wrenched her door open and threw herself out into the street, rolling under an ugly, clawed hand. Evan and Connor leapt out of the passenger side doors and sprinted for the house.

Zoe leapt to her feet and ran after them, muttering a spell under her breath. Connor took the lead with the three of them, whipping himself around the corner of the building.

Just as Evan turned the corner, Zoe felt something hit her back. She screamed and tried to whip herself around as she fell, slashing at whatever was on her with the knife that she'd been conjuring.

She felt it hit something solid and pulled back, stabbing again.

"Zoe!" Evan swung at the wolf-creature, sending it flying. Panting, he offered Zoe a hand up.

She grabbed it and hauled herself to her feet. "Keep running!"

Evan nodded and they took off again.

Connor was just getting the back door open when they came around the side of the house. He himself inside and let both Zoe and Evan in, then slammed the door and threw the bolt.

For a moment, the three teens just stood in the kitchen, panting heavily.

"If we live through this..." Connor finally managed. "I'll start going to the gym...."

Zoe laughed breathlessly. "Me too."

They both looked at Evan, who just looked at his granite arms and shrugged. "Don't think- it w-won't- it's n-not going to help...."

Connor burst out laughing, sliding down the door to sit on the kitchen tiles and clutching his stomach. Zoe began to giggle breathlessly, plopping onto one of the kitchen chairs. Evan just sat down in the middle of the floor, still catching his breath.

It seemed almost normal for a moment. The three of them, sitting around and laughing about dumb jokes.

Zoe's mom burst into the room. "Oh thank goodness you're okay!"