Chapter Twenty-One: The Serpent's Slip

Content Warning: Mentions of Self-Harm and Bullying

"You skipped your Healers appointment?" Rose gasped the following breezy morning at the Great Hall.

She threw her buttered toast down melodramatically, glaring at Albus and Scorpius who regretted confiding with her in the first place.

"Keep your voice down, will you?" Albus entreated, gaping around the crowded Slytherin table, all who were smiling respectfully at Albus and Scorpius as they continued eating away.

This certain kindness was rather new to Albus, who enjoyed the Slytherins' support wholeheartedly. Ever since Albus snogged Scorpius in the Slytherin Dormitory, the Slytherins have been exceptionally pleasant and rather protective of the two wizards. They would save them a place to sit during meals and would stick up for them whenever other students would pick on them. It was only a couple of the Slytherins who weren't particularly nice to Scorpius and Albus. But other than that, it was a glorious change. Strangely, it was neither Albus nor Scorpius that the Slytherins had a problem with; it was Rose. A fair few weren't quite fond of Rose's presence at their table, although no one bothered to say much about it.

"There's a reason Draco and Uncle Harry want you to see Healers you know..." Rose said sagaciously, sweeping her flaming red hair away from her sharp face. "It's absolutely imperative that you attend your sessions otherwise—"

"What are you going to do?" Albus mocked, hardly able to disguise his own smile. "Send Dad an Owl?"

Rose glanced up from her plate, the freckles on her face glowing as she smirked. "It worked last time, didn't it?" she said slickly.

"I don't see why this is such a big deal," Scorpius said defensively, jumping into the conversation. He sipped on his goblet of pumpkin juice, staring disbelievingly at Albus' cousin. "We had a good reason for skipping, anyway."

"Really?" Rose asked in a bored voice as she met his eyes. "Name me one!" she demanded, letting out a yawn before sinking her brittle toast into her piping morning tea.

Scorpius shrivelled down at once, astonished he couldn't think of one fast enough. "We had to...erm...to talk..."

Rose's eyes were as sharp as daggers. "Talking? That's more important than seeing the Healers?"

She eyed Albus' arms deprecatingly before staring back at Scorpius, who acted as though he didn't notice her brown eyes skate up and down his boyfriend's dressed wrists.

Scorpius turned to Albus for help, who simply shrugged, indicating for him to let it go. Scorpius thought hard. Should he admit to Rose that the pair had a fight? That their little argument was the reason they didn't go see the Healers? No. Probably not. It wouldn't be right to allow Rose into the details of their relationship. It was none of her business, anyway. Perhaps telling the truth was not the best solution for this. It couldn't hurt to lie to her instead now, could it? Everyone lies. Perhaps he could simply say that Albus wasn't feeling well. That ought to shut her up for a bit. Scorpius smiled at Rose, halfway between anxious and determined to spit out a monologue of some sort but halted at the twirling silhouettes of Felina Fiddlecorn and Raksha Rajkumar who entered the Great Hall in soft giggles.

The witches both beamed pleasingly at Scorpius and then at Albus, joining them at the Slytherin table. Though they kept smiling, Scorpius could sense that the pair seemed rather skittish. Raksha kept looping the thick, black strands of hair with her thumb while Felina would occasionally dart her eyes behind her to make sure they weren't being eavesdropped on by the other houses.

"How nice of you to join us, Rose," Felina said merrily, taking a seat next to her.

Rose peered up at them, wondering if the two witches were hit with the Confundus Charm. Were the two Slytherins just nice to Rose? Rose's jaw fell open, gawking incredulously at Felina and Raksha, waiting for either one to admit this was only a prank. But neither witches said anything. Their kindness did not seem fabricated at all; it was genuine. Rose obviously was not used to being cheerfully welcomed by any of the Slytherins. There was always bad blood between the houses, particularly between Gryffindor and Slytherin. Perhaps that was another reason the Slytherins hated whenever Rose sat with them. It became a cruel tradition for Rose to be greeted with mockery, silence and icy laughter. Having someone displaying kindness and perhaps even interest towards her? That certainly was rather seldom.