Chapter Two: Boggarts and Bullies

Scorpius raised his pallid hand high in the air instantaneously as if he were certain that the tips of his ashen fingers could reach the mottled roof. He released Albus from his grasp, a valiant smile glistening on his alluring face. There was absolutely no time to be hesitant or to second guess himself or even care what people thought of him. He knew the answer to the question.

Scorpius straightened his posture with a shy smile the second Neville had pointed at him. His voice came out rapid, as if he were afraid that time was not on his side; that class would soon be over before he got a word in.

"It is said that Boggarts are a dark splotch of nothingness! They are shapeshifters! Boggarts transform into what a person fear most. The best way to get rid of Boggarts is with laughter. Once you laugh and pronounce the Boggart-Banishing spell, Riddikulus, correctly, the Boggart should successfully vanquish." He explained breathlessly, evidently pleased with himself.

He knew about Boggarts like the back of his hand. He studied all about them even before he attended Hogwarts. He remembered quizzing his Dad about them during winter break and having his Father quiz him. His Dad even had bought him his own trunk to put the Boggart in so he could practice. As a child, he was too scared to open the trunk and see what his deepest fear was. He was too scared to face his own fear. Cranking open the trunk was the first and most difficult task that he had dreaded. That was always the tricky part. But when he was eleven, on summer break, after his first year at Hogwarts, he tried again, and his Boggart turned into something revolting. Something horrid, something foul, disgustingly warped, something that made him burst into tears and run desperately into his Father's arms, clinging onto him like glue, begging his Dad to rescue him from the horror he had seen. Something that even scared his own Father, who was forced to vanquish the Boggart while still holding onto his hysterical son. That was four years ago. He had practiced loads of time...his Boggart won't be so scary anymore. He'll be okay now. He had to be. He had to face his fear. He had to get rid of the Boggart himself.

No one else can face your fears for you, only you can. His Dad had told him. You've got to save yourself. Be prepared for anything.

Neville smiled proudly at Scorpius. "Excellent. 10 Points to Slytherin." He looked around the room inquisitively, "Does anyone know another way to get rid of Boggarts?"

"OH!" Scorpius cried, shooting his hand excitedly back in the air, nearly toppling Albus over with great enthusiasm. "You're stronger in numbers! It's best to face Boggarts with two or more people! That way, you confound the Boggarts since it will have trouble trying to morph into your fear! When there are more of you, the Boggart becomes confused and doesn't know which fear to turn into!"

Albus leaned close to Scorpius' ear. "Why don't you just teach the class for us?" he whispered.

Scorpius only smiled, his eyes knitted firmly on the crooked grandfather clock. This is it. This will be his moment. Once he gets the green light, he'll march over to that grandfather clock and face his Boggart. He knew that the Boggart was hiding in that clock since Boggarts tend to live in enclosed, tight and dark spaces.

"Well done. 10 more points to Slytherin," Neville grinned. "Now practice the incantation. Riddikulus! Put your wand away, please. Listen here! Riddikulus! Riddikulus! Riddikulus! Remember, tune out your greatest fear. Do not give your fear the power to break you. Channel your energy not on what's scaring you but what isn't. You all have it within you. You just have to believe in yourself and focus on how to make the Boggart look comical. Funny, even. Now...who would like to go first?"

"This is third year stuff," Polly rolled her eyes in dismay, drawing out her wand. "I'll go." She flicked her braids away from her face and nodded at Neville.