Chapter Five: Confessions and Catastrophes

Albus stared into the bathroom mirror, studying his own reflection meekly, his eloquent green eyes flourishing with anticipation. This was it. This was the moment he was going to tell Scorpius everything. He balled the lime towel in his hands, wiping his dripping hair quickly, shaking his head back and forth, looking very much like an overgrown sheepdog who had been caught in the rain.

Albus realized too late that he idiotically was dressed in his pajamas. The embarrassing ones. The ones that Molly knitted. How mortifying would it be to confess his feelings while wearing that silly thing? He was so foolish. He should have worn his fine Slytherin robes. Or better yet, a nice suit. The suit he intended to wear at the Christmas Ball. Anything but those ruddy old things. He should have brewed himself a vial of Felix Felicis before speaking to Scorpius. That would have done the trick. Nevertheless, he gathered all the courage he was able to obtain after a tiresome night, nodding to himself. He had to tell Scorpius. This was it. The time was now.

He pushed the bathroom door open, and stalked over to Scorpius' bed, expecting him to be fast asleep, but to his surprise, Scorpius was sitting up, hugging his knees, with tears streaming down his shivering face. His entire body was trembling.

At that moment, breathing was nearly impossible.

"Scorp!" Albus whispered, rushing to his side and dropping beside him.

Albus clasped his hands with his, stringing his fingers with Scorpius', and Scorpius held on as if his life depended on it, determined to grasp on, his somber salted eyes filled with dolor.

"Don't leave me," he croaked weakly.

Albus pulled their knitted hands by his heart, a vow of promise, hoping Scorpius could not hear the thump of his heart birthed simply by the feel of Scorpius' hands on him. His emerald eyes met Scorpius' grey eyes, stroking his fingers.

"Never," he said.

"Do you know what it's like, to have your own Mum as your Boggart?" Scorpius asked with a sense of accusation in his voice.

"No, of course not." Albus responded, keeping his eyes sheltered onto Scorpius', worried that if he were to break eye contact, their friendship would perish along with it.

"It wasn't fun, seeing my Mum today." Scorpius said quietly. "All those things she said about me...that wasn't right. It wasn't her. Whatever she said to me were only my doubts...my thoughts...and the Boggart used them against me. Used my Mum as a weapon to destroy me. At least...that's what Professor Longbottom said when he found me after class..."

"It didn't destroy you, Scorp. You're still here." Albus squeezed Scorpius' hand, still nested neatly by his heaving chest. "You're brave. Anyone would have been scared. Even Polly was scared of her Boggart and her Boggart was herself!"

"I'm not scared of my Mum. Her Boggart form self, erm, well, yes. But not her real self. She was an excellent Mum. Always caring for me. Always making my Dad smile, which is hard to do, believe me. She was lovely. She would have liked to meet you. She loved hearing stories about you. About us. I kept telling her that she'll meet you once she feels better. Once she's up for it. But. That never happened, did it? She...she was the best. She was the World's Greatest Mum, and she knew it. I even made her a report card, once. All Outstandings." He smiled proudly, still sobbing, however, quite soundly now. "But I was afraid of her during her last days. So, the Boggart wasn't exactly lying. I was scared of her... only because I thought she would leave me. Frightened because time wasn't on our side. Every night before I went to bed, after I kissed her goodnight, I was scared that that would be my last kiss. And one night, it was. But...before she went...before she died...s-s-she told me...s-s-she...she—she told me to never let go of you. To keep you close. So, I must ask: why are you letting go of me?"